• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hp Latex compared to Roland versaart re 640

tomence

Yes on the media, one head strike and it's done. And you will get lot of them until you learn how to use it. As far as cost to produce 57x46 banner on the Roland will be the same as the HP around $9, but with a custom profiled Roland the cost will decrease by a lot up to 30% so you do the math.

lazaros

Yes on the media, one head strike and it's done. And you will get lot of them until you learn how to use it. As far as cost to produce 57x46 banner on the Roland will be the same as the HP around $9, but with a custom profiled Roland the cost will decrease by a lot up to 30% so you do the math.

Ok this alone is a major drawback for me. why did HP make the heads so fragile?

Ho do i get a roland custom profiled?

VTSigns

Head strikes are not a big deal. I have had more than a dozen in the year and a half I have had my HP and I have only replaced one printhead ($99). The ink cost from my calculation is much less. I was getting my Roland cartridges back when I had my Roland for $120 (440 ml). I get my HP cartridges for the same cost but get close to double the ink (775 ml).

lazaros

Head strikes are not a big deal. I have had more than a dozen in the year and a half I have had my HP and I have only replaced one printhead ($99). The ink cost from my calculation is much less. I was getting my Roland cartridges back when I had my Roland for $120 (440 ml). I get my HP cartridges for the same cost but get close to double the ink (775 ml).

I don't suppose you know how often the printhead needs to be replaced as a consumable part of the printer?

jasonx

I don't suppose you know how often the printhead needs to be replaced as a consumable part of the printer?

Between 2-6 litres of ink through each head.

Ink costs are cheaper on the HP. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't run both machines for 10,000+ square metres.

jayhawksigns

Head strikes are not a big deal. I have had more than a dozen in the year and a half I have had my HP and I have only replaced one printhead ($99).

I agree. Had numerous head strikes here and haven't had one take out a head yet. We have gotten at least 2 liters through all of our heads.

TXFB.INS

it really comes down to a flip of the coin, both are good machines both have so called "PROS & CONS"

at this point I would suggest you go to a vendor and watch each machine being used, loading materials, maintenance, print quality etc...

the biggest aspect is the rip program and how easy it is to use.

again at this stage I would suggest going and watching both machines being used in all points that owing a machine entails

tomence

I really would like to know where you buy HP ink for $120 that's a very good price and as far as Roland ink goes i pay $112 per 440cc cart, also no need for the extra LC and LM carts.

Last edited:

PrintItBig

We're trying to make almost exactly the same choice. Latex (HP) vs eco solvent (Roland, Mimaki, Epson).

How scratch resistant would you guys say the latex ink is compared to the eco solvent?

We went for a demo of the HP and to be honest I wasn't that impressed with the scratch resistance. When scratching it lightly with a finger nail it was fine but if scratching with medium pressure, particularly in a long straight line, the ink would just come straight off. Is this the same with eco solvent?

We do a lot of roller banners with our aqueous printer and one thing we wanted to do was supply these without lamination. Also being able to mount SAV to Foamex / Dibond without lamination while keeping a reasonable level of scratch resistance would also be very beneficial. Which ink type would be best for this?

Thanks.

VTSigns

You once bought, but do you still buy at that price

I can still buy the ink for $120 all day long just takes some talking with suppliers.

Just keep in mind that I have had both a Roland (which I loved) and an HP. After owning the HP for about a year and a half I would definitely pick the HP. There are too many upsides to the HP.

MIMO

We're trying to make almost exactly the same choice. Latex (HP) vs eco solvent (Roland, Mimaki, Epson).

How scratch resistant would you guys say the latex ink is compared to the eco solvent?

We went for a demo of the HP and to be honest I wasn't that impressed with the scratch resistance. When scratching it lightly with a finger nail it was fine but if scratching with medium pressure, particularly in a long straight line, the ink would just come straight off. Is this the same with eco solvent?

We do a lot of roller banners with our aqueous printer and one thing we wanted to do was supply these without lamination. Also being able to mount SAV to Foamex / Dibond without lamination while keeping a reasonable level of scratch resistance would also be very beneficial. Which ink type would be best for this?

Thanks.

The HP Latex is not the printer for high quality retractable banners. One of the hardest things for these things is printing on PVC vinyl banner because the heat in the curing zone will deform a lot of banner media. Smooth or ultra smooth banner vinyl is a no go. Take that another step and if you want a true lay flat banner, you'll be ripping out your hair. If you can get a vendor to show you the HP Latex consistently produce high quality, dead flat banners, I want his number!

PrintItBig

The HP Latex is not the printer for high quality retractable banners. One of the hardest things for these things is printing on PVC vinyl banner because the heat in the curing zone will deform a lot of banner media. Smooth or ultra smooth banner vinyl is a no go. Take that another step and if you want a true lay flat banner, you'll be ripping out your hair. If you can get a vendor to show you the HP Latex consistently produce high quality, dead flat banners, I want his number!

I would have thought PVC banners are exactly the type of product the latex was aiming for?

So would you say the eco solvents are better in this respect?

What products are the latex machines particularly good at producing?

I've seen a lot of roller banner graphics that aren't laminated which seem to be very scratch resistant. Are these likely to be eco solvent? UV?

ProWraps

you can buy it for that price anywhere for the most part. and no a head strike doesnt cause heads to be replaced. thats nonsense.

tomence

Amen to that. This was one of my main reasons that i picked the Roland over the HP. Throw me any kind of retractable banner material and i will print all day long with no problems or curling at all which equals to no headaches.

cdiesel

We run two Rolands and a an L25500 and LX800. Each has their own issues, and they all work well.

Local service is a determining factor for us. Look at who you have locally to buy your machine from, and then service it after the purchase.

These are small machines, so differences in operating expenses will be minimal.

jasonx

Amen to that. This was one of my main reasons that i picked the Roland over the HP. Throw me any kind of retractable banner material and i will print all day long with no problems or curling at all which equals to no headaches.

You can print retractable banners on your Roland and use your take up reel?