• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hp Latex Print Life/fade Resistance?

Lindquist

We recently purchased an HP Latex 560. We're loving it so far.

The only big question we have is about the print life. Does anyone know how well/long the prints last outdoors without laminate (and/or with laminate)?

Most of our applications are temporary (no vehicle graphics), so it's not a major concern, but our old Mimaki JV3 had a lot of print fading problems. The signs we're producing tend to sit in direct sunlight for several weeks or a few months.

The technician who helped install the printer told us the print life was 3 years, but that seemed too good to be true.

bannertime

I've got a logo on my door, without lamination, facing west. Gets about 5-6 hours of direct sunlight. Hasn't faded enough to even tell if it's faded. It was printed with the 831A inks last January. I've got another sample that is mounted to the top of a truck. It's been on there for about 3 months with no signs of fading.

I've gotten a print from an older latex model that faded to almost complete white within a year, but it was facing west with no cover.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have no latex knowledge, but a lot will depend on morning sun, afternoon sun or southern exposure. Certain colors tend to fade/shift faster than others and also the 'with or without laminate' part. Lastly, where you are geographically located like Canada vs Florida. Big difference.

Vinyldog

I've been using the Latex for less than two years so not long enough to make a first-hand judgement. But my feeling is that it is at least as durable as Solvent.
Maybe just because it's dry immediately out of the machine, but in handling the prints around the shop here while laminating etc. they seem more durable. Not as easy to damage etc.
I also haven't noticed significant fading in the prints I have placed outdoors since I started using the L310 July of 2015. I do typically laminate everything for outdoor use, usually with O.215 / 210 / or Briteline UV. But I know of at least one large real estate sign I did that is outdoors with no lam and still looks as great.

Bly

We do lots of unlaminated monomeric promotional window decals with our 360s.
They sometimes stay up for 12-18 months and still look good at the end of that time.

ericm

I printed a banner almost two years ago for an oil company with the 370 and it still looks really good
And even the banner it self is in Great shape

Christian @ 2CT Media

We did a banner on our original 25500 that lasted 4 years before the banner deteriorated, we have some unlaminated window decals we did 3 years ago on our 26500 that still look good today. I have window perf unlaminated that is almost 5 years old on a West facing building that still looks great (it gets 5 hours of sun a day)

sonia

The only big question we have is about the print life. Does anyone know how well/long the prints last outdoors without laminate (and/or with laminate)?

Most of our applications are temporary (no vehicle graphics), so it's not a major concern, but our old Mimaki JV3 had a lot of print fading problems. The signs we're producing tend to sit in direct sunlight for several weeks or a few months.

The technician who helped install the printer told us the print life was 3 years, but that seemed too good to be true.
Hello Lindquist
I recommend to read this article about the HP Latex Inks durability: HP Latex Inks and print durability
@ Latex Knowledge Center

hcardwell93

Our gun shop sign was printed on an HP 25500 in the summer of 2010. I dont know what vinyl and laminate was used, but its mounted to MDO. Its about 18 feet off the ground facing due west so it gets full afternoon sun.

Located in central indiana we can get some pretty hot summers.

Attachments

• 20170401_162423_HDR_1491078340675.jpg
    20170401_162423_HDR_1491078340675.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 313

Peter E

Three to five years without lamination.