• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP latex printers - Maintenance required when not in use?

k_graham

If one buys a HP Latex machine - can you leave it a day, week, month without it drying up and ruining the print heads etc. Is there an automated cycle where it will do a cleaning line every day, perhaps on weekends when not in use.

Is dealer maintenance required or is pretty much everything able to be done by user, we would be 2 hours flight time from any dealer.

As its labeled as Latex - are inks damaged if frozen in shipping like latex paint is.

Thanks, Ken

If one buys a HP Latex machine - can you leave it a day, week, month without it drying up and ruining the print heads etc. Is there an automated cycle where it will do a cleaning line every day, perhaps on weekends when not in use.

Is dealer maintenance required or is pretty much everything able to be done by user, we would be 2 hours flight time from any dealer.

As its labeled as Latex - are inks damaged if frozen in shipping like latex paint is.

Thanks, Ken

Because HP latex ink is water-based, the printer can sit without being used for extended periods of time without a problem. I have had several, and all have had extended periods of non-use (up to several weeks in duration), and all have printed perfectly afterwards with no user intervention. The latex machines have a drop detection system which automatically assesses the nozzle performance, and cleans the head(s) as necessary to ensure a good result. It performs this test before each and every print. Also, never freeze ink of any variant.

JoeBoomer

I 2nd that

• I agree with the guy who obviously works at HP. :) I've let both my HP L26500 & L25500 sit for 1-3 weeks without any problems. Get's me worried a bit coming from solvent world, but you really don't have anything to worry about.

• Maintenance is pretty much all done by user. Very low maintenance in my 2+ years of use.

• The "Latex" ink isn't really latex. It's some type of poly-resin-something, and that is what gives it the "latex" part. Latex allergies aren't an issue (I've had it cleared for printing in hospitals) Ink in the cartridge probably shouldn't be frozen regardless as it could expand, or mess with the characteristics of the ink (just guessing on that though). I've had it shipped to my shop on some mighty cold FedEx trucks and haven't had any problems. As far as durability once printed, it will react very similar to solvent inks. You shouldn't have any problems during shipping, etc.

I really love my Latex Printers. Takes a bit of getting used to the heat issues and warm-up times, but overall very happy. Much better than Solvent in my opinion.

• I agree with the guy who obviously works at HP. :) I've let both my HP L26500 & L25500 sit for 1-3 weeks without any problems. Get's me worried a bit coming from solvent world, but you really don't have anything to worry about.

• Maintenance is pretty much all done by user. Very low maintenance in my 2+ years of use.

• The "Latex" ink isn't really latex. It's some type of poly-resin-something, and that is what gives it the "latex" part. Latex allergies aren't an issue (I've had it cleared for printing in hospitals) Ink in the cartridge probably shouldn't be frozen regardless as it could expand, or mess with the characteristics of the ink (just guessing on that though). I've had it shipped to my shop on some mighty cold FedEx trucks and haven't had any problems. As far as durability once printed, it will react very similar to solvent inks. You shouldn't have any problems during shipping, etc.

I really love my Latex Printers. Takes a bit of getting used to the heat issues and warm-up times, but overall very happy. Much better than Solvent in my opinion.

I don't work for HP, but I do train on and support a number of users of HP Latex printers, among others.

AUTO-FX

My 25500 sat for almost 2 months when I was layed up. ( or is it laid up? Hmm. Lets see, I wasnt gettin' laid- so it must be "layed up")
Anyway, it was perfectly fine.
Good question on ink freezing, but parcels are inside a heated environment until about 5 am the morning of delivery. Theyre only on the truck for few hours.Are the inks really going to freeze that quickly? I guess that's something to think about if you live up north. Where's Tim?He has a latex printer. He would know for sure being in Calgary.