• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex vs Epson S80600

yamaha581

We have been using the HP Latex printers for years but I have really been looking around at the S80600 lately. We mainly print motocross graphics so we deal with the bright red, orange and a bunch of different greys that we just seem to have a problem with on this Latex machine. I have read around and talked to a few people that all recommended the epson but wanted to see what anyone else on there thought about the two. I have a hard time leaving the latex just because we have been printing solid daily for years and had almost no problems at all. Our main line of work is the motocross graphics but we definitely do our fair share of normal signage and wraps as well. Am I better off trying to make this work with the HP or is the color on the Epson going to be that much better that it is worth going that route?

ProColorGraphics

I went from the first 3 versions of the HP Latex, to an Epson S70 and now the S80. The colors on the S80 are amazing! Bright reds and oranges are easy to hit!

yamaha581

I went from the first 3 versions of the HP Latex, to an Epson S70 and now the S80. The colors on the S80 are amazing! Bright reds and oranges are easy to hit!

That is what I keep hearing and think I may have to just go for it and make that happen. I just picked this new HP up a year ago and didn't want to get one already but if its that much better I may have to do it.

SS7318

We've had the S80600 for maybe 2 years and I think the color and quality on it are awesome. I'm willing to print you some samples if that would be at all helpful to you.

ikarasu

How long does the orange ink last? I've heard horrific stories from the last gen of ink.

Don't get me wrong.. I love the Epsons now and use one daily. But if I had to choose with being a shade or two off and using an orange ink that only lasts for a few months to a year outdoors.... I'd go with longevity!

I've seen posts on here with people saying orange fades in 3-6 months.

Although I do think cmyklclm still has a wider gamut than latex does and lasts longer before fading.... So you can't go wrong with one if you're looking for a wide gamut. It's Just something to keep in mind if you do get an s80... Just because it can print really nice bright oranges, doesn't mean it won't turn to yellow in 6 months.

Last edited:

Val47

We have had our epson SC80600 for about ..3 years (?). no complaints. In fact of our 3 R2R solvent printers, the epson is my go to. The Rolands are back-ups for overflow, and go-to for some specific projects.

Chrxs

Which HP Latex do you use ? I'm very satisfied whith the colour consistency when you use the right HP-/ICC-profile. If you have any questions feel free to ask :)

regards,
C

yamaha581

Thanks guys! Like I said we mainly do motocross graphics so the customers are usually going through at least 1-2 sets per year so the graphics usually get replaced before anything would be fading as far as that is concerned. I still do a decent amount of outdoors signs though so I definitely don't want something that won't stand up. The more I see it looks like a lot of people are preferring the Epson over the Latex I just have always had the latex and have barely had to do any major work to it so its hard to leave this machine since it has been so reliable with printing solid almost every day.

mbasch

This is just my opinion and experience based on the one Epson I have ever owned:

We have an Epson SureColor S70670 running GSX inks and it was by far the worst printer I have ever owned. One of the first wrap jobs we did was a heavy on the orange. It faded so fast, within 6 months we had to redo it because client was very upset. Only then did we find out the orange was only warranted against was only 6 months. Odd since it was marketed as wrap printer and I don't know anyone who only wants a wrap to last for only 6 months. We now avoid orange ink like the plague and setup oranges to M/Y mixes.I don't know if they have solved that with newer inks. Good luck trying to get 2 panels out of it that are the same length. We can get variances of 1/2-3/4" over 8'. The dealer originally tried to work with us to solve the issue since we were told it should be less than 1/8 over 8'. The dealer finally threw up their hands and passed us off to Epson who told us that 1/2" was with in their tolerances but they don't guarantee any repeat-ability for length. We also got the silver and white ink option. The silver basically just rubs off with your fingers on any media and clogged constantly and we have never used it. The white was ok but clogs often and we use more in maintenance than we actually use printing. The white is the only reason we still keep it. Need repairs? Almost nothing on it is self serviceable so be prepared to spend a lot replacing heads or other repairs. You can't even bypass maintenance issues in a bind. If the controller says it needs to be serviced it bricks the unit. In addition, Epson subs out repair so the quality of the repair is completely dependent on the skill of the repair tech and how easily then can figure things out. At least with our Mimaki, you can limp along on one head or replace heads, damper etc when you are in a bind.

HP's biggest issue is the time it takes to start a print and the amount of material you have to waste for a leader but it is a work horse for long runs. Starting a print takes for ever so if you are bouncing around with different material for each job, you have a lot of down time. We never have nozzles drop out or at least we don't see it since it remaps bad nozzles and being able to swap a head in a few minutes is a tremendous advantage. The print quality on a HP is much more clear and crisp than the epson making it much better for small sticker jobs. When it needs schedule maintenance it warns you well in weeks advance so you can plan down time. Most HP repairs are kits which makes the quality of repairs completely predictable since the repairs are essentially plug and play. Unlike the solvents printers we have, HP give you a fixed price for the repair and it is always fixed right the first time. With Epson, they'll fix one problem and leave and then something else isn't running quite right like maybe the head are slightly out of register or an ink line isn't plugged in properly etc.

I think what we have learned is there is no one printer perfect for every job and it is nice to have a mix. Keep in mind the folks making or selling this equipment don't have to make their living running it so they tend to down play what it actually takes to use these in an actual shop environment.

...my 2 cents..

CanuckSigns

How long does the orange ink last? I've heard horrific stories from the last gen of ink.

Don't get me wrong.. I love the Epsons now and use one daily. But if I had to choose with being a shade or two off and using an orange ink that only lasts for a few months to a year outdoors.... I'd go with longevity!

I've seen posts on here with people saying orange fades in 3-6 months.

Although I do think cmyklclm still has a wider gamut than latex does and lasts longer before fading.... So you can't go wrong with one if you're looking for a wide gamut. It's Just something to keep in mind if you do get an s80... Just because it can print really nice bright oranges, doesn't mean it won't turn to yellow in 6 months.

Your post reminded me, I printed out an orange and red swatch almost 3 years ago and stuck it on the back fire exit door outside to test the longevity of the orange and red ink in our S80600 because I had heard similar stories. The swatch I'm holding was printed at the same time and shoved in my desk drawer, so no UV exposure. the colours are pretty much identical. My back door faces south so it gets a ton of sun.

Attachments

• orange red ink.jpg
    orange red ink.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 323

ikarasu

Looks good. We bought an s40 because of all the stories we heard about the ink in the s80 sucking.... Regretting it now! S80 would be worth it. Oh well, next upgrade well get one!

Thanks for the sample.

Saturn

Aging Member
Your post reminded me, I printed out an orange and red swatch almost 3 years ago and stuck it on the back fire exit door outside to test the longevity of the orange and red ink in our S80600 because I had heard similar stories. The swatch I'm holding was printed at the same time and shoved in my desk drawer, so no UV exposure. the colours are pretty much identical. My back door faces south so it gets a ton of sun.

Really appreciate you posting this. Thank you!

Jburns

Is that Laminated?

yannb

This is just my opinion and experience based on the one Epson I have ever owned:

We have an Epson SureColor S70670 running GSX inks and it was by far the worst printer I have ever owned. One of the first wrap jobs we did was a heavy on the orange. It faded so fast, within 6 months we had to redo it because client was very upset. Only then did we find out the orange was only warranted against was only 6 months. Odd since it was marketed as wrap printer and I don't know anyone who only wants a wrap to last for only 6 months. We now avoid orange ink like the plague and setup oranges to M/Y mixes.I don't know if they have solved that with newer inks. Good luck trying to get 2 panels out of it that are the same length. We can get variances of 1/2-3/4" over 8'. The dealer originally tried to work with us to solve the issue since we were told it should be less than 1/8 over 8'. The dealer finally threw up their hands and passed us off to Epson who told us that 1/2" was with in their tolerances but they don't guarantee any repeat-ability for length. We also got the silver and white ink option. The silver basically just rubs off with your fingers on any media and clogged constantly and we have never used it. The white was ok but clogs often and we use more in maintenance than we actually use printing. The white is the only reason we still keep it. Need repairs? Almost nothing on it is self serviceable so be prepared to spend a lot replacing heads or other repairs. You can't even bypass maintenance issues in a bind. If the controller says it needs to be serviced it bricks the unit. In addition, Epson subs out repair so the quality of the repair is completely dependent on the skill of the repair tech and how easily then can figure things out. At least with our Mimaki, you can limp along on one head or replace heads, damper etc when you are in a bind.

HP's biggest issue is the time it takes to start a print and the amount of material you have to waste for a leader but it is a work horse for long runs. Starting a print takes for ever so if you are bouncing around with different material for each job, you have a lot of down time. We never have nozzles drop out or at least we don't see it since it remaps bad nozzles and being able to swap a head in a few minutes is a tremendous advantage. The print quality on a HP is much more clear and crisp than the epson making it much better for small sticker jobs. When it needs schedule maintenance it warns you well in weeks advance so you can plan down time. Most HP repairs are kits which makes the quality of repairs completely predictable since the repairs are essentially plug and play. Unlike the solvents printers we have, HP give you a fixed price for the repair and it is always fixed right the first time. With Epson, they'll fix one problem and leave and then something else isn't running quite right like maybe the head are slightly out of register or an ink line isn't plugged in properly etc.

I think what we have learned is there is no one printer perfect for every job and it is nice to have a mix. Keep in mind the folks making or selling this equipment don't have to make their living running it so they tend to down play what it actually takes to use these in an actual shop environment.

...my 2 cents..

The 80600 is what the 70600 should have been. It is a very reliable printer. I demo and install these units, and customer satisfaction is very high. Post installation, I get questions about the rip, or how to switch from 9C to 9C+white or metallic, but not regarding print quality or other issues. Yes, the Epsons might be are a bit more expensive, but they won’t give you a headache.