• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hp poster paper

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I have a roll of HP poster paper that I have attempted a few times to print posters. Every time I print them, they seem to lift under the print heads just enough to rub on the print and cause lines in areas. What can I do to fix this? I've got the vacuum set high but it seems to be that the poster paper is still too light.

Make sure that the specific poster paper you are using is on the HP Media Locator. There are papers which can react to the thermal energy being applied in the cure unit by 'tenting'. The middle of the media can begin to lift and cause ink smears in the cure unit or with the carriage. Many times you an lower the cure temp to get the paper to relax, and offset this with an increase in the Inter-Pass Delay to get the ink to cure completely. Increasing front tension on the media can also help with this.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Make sure that the specific poster paper you are using is on the HP Media Locator. There are papers which can react to the thermal energy being applied in the cure unit by 'tenting'. The middle of the media can begin to lift and cause ink smears in the cure unit or with the carriage. Many times you an lower the cure temp to get the paper to relax, and offset this with an increase in the Inter-Pass Delay to get the ink to cure completely. Increasing front tension on the media can also help with this.
I did have an increase in the front tension. and I'm pretty sure I have the right paper and profile selection. But I did notice it "puckering" like it was too hot. I'll lower the temp and add passes to see what happens. I dont use it often but last week I was printing some posters a christmas party and all of the posters were trashed. I actually stopped the printer by the 4th print and just replaced it with a different media.

Thanks!

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
I did have an increase in the front tension. and I'm pretty sure I have the right paper and profile selection. But I did notice it "puckering" like it was too hot. I'll lower the temp and add passes to see what happens. I dont use it often but last week I was printing some posters a christmas party and all of the posters were trashed. I actually stopped the printer by the 4th print and just replaced it with a different media.

Thanks!
That's odd that an HP branded media is having that reaction. I sell a ton of paper called Performance Paper which has latex saturated properties so the paper is softer and doesn't react that that initial heat. 54"x164' rolls are only $148. it is a 8mil satin paper.....honestly there isn't anything sexy but the price and performance.

richsweeney

Look at a cannon tx3000, I have 2 hp latex. It seems you have to run a 3 foot leader to make it print. It does print very well, just not very profitably.

Ronny Axelsson

In addition to what's already been said, I think humidity (air and material) could also be causing the material to lift like this.
Have had similar problems myself (not HP material though) and lowering the temperature and air humidity made it at least a little better.

JBurton

Signtologist
I have a roll of HP poster paper
How old is that roll?
I got a roll with my l25500, didn't try to use it for a year, and by the time I tried, it would crash constantly. I think the paper absorbs moisture readily, as I couldn't get it to lay flat to save my life, and the heat just made things worse.
I did end up finally getting one print out of it, an MRI of my brain, with a note from the technician, 'nothing extraordinary'. All the 'posters' I've printed since have just been IJ35 with the backer left on.

Look at a cannon tx3000, I have 2 hp latex. It seems you have to run a 3 foot leader to make it print. It does print very well, just not very profitably.
Gen3 Latex printers can have challenges with printing to certain paper-based medias. There are papers which ran acceptably on Gen1 and Gen2 Latex which will not run on Gen3 (HP Photo-realistic poster paper is one). The new 630 Gen4 is easily the most robust Latex paper printer to date. In many cases (there is a tremendous range of papers) , on the 630 there is no need for front tension or significant lead-edge waste on many paper medias, as well as self-adhesive vinyl.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
In addition to what's already been said, I think humidity (air and material) could also be causing the material to lift like this.
Have had similar problems myself (not HP material though) and lowering the temperature and air humidity made it at least a little better.
would a dehumidifier help?
How old is that roll?
I got a roll with my l25500, didn't try to use it for a year, and by the time I tried, it would crash constantly. I think the paper absorbs moisture readily, as I couldn't get it to lay flat to save my life, and the heat just made things worse.
I did end up finally getting one print out of it, an MRI of my brain, with a note from the technician, 'nothing extraordinary'. All the 'posters' I've printed since have just been IJ35 with the backer left on.
I bought it in March. Every time I've printed on it, I have not had good luck. I thought it would be cool to print posters out if people wanted them. I'll go back to doing what I was doing before which is what you do. I just use Arlon 510.
I would have thought HP would have a lockdown on their own products.

Ronny Axelsson

I guess it depends on how humid it is and how large the room is where you store the printer and material.
I bought a small dehumidifier (rather small printer room) and even though it didn't help much with the poster paper, it is always good to keep humidity at a controlled level.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I guess it depends on how humid it is and how large the room is where you store the printer and material.
I bought a small dehumidifier (rather small printer room) and even though it didn't help much with the poster paper, it is always good to keep humidity at a controlled level.
We are on the Texas Gulf Coast. Humidity is a given everyday.

JBurton

Signtologist
Yes and no, I think at least. It would help for any new rolls, but I don't think it would help with that particular roll. The old roll I have isn't even good for patterns, as it curls with such a vengeance you'd use more tape to hold it flat than screws on the wall.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
L300 is just not at its best with paper. Even good quality paper that certified might puckle and bang and even after adjusting there's not much you can do.

Less heat, less speed maybe it goes fine.

Also "hp poster paper" doesn't mean much. I think they have like 5 different products that could be associated to that.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
L300 is just not at its best with paper. Even good quality paper that certified might puckle and bang and even after adjusting there's not much you can do.

Less heat, less speed maybe it goes fine.

Also "hp poster paper" doesn't mean much. I think they have like 5 different products that could be associated to that.
I figured as much. it is what it is.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
I had no problems with paper until recently on my 360s, the prints weren't drying, i had strikes in the curing unit unless on the TUR. I have had good luck with Sihl 3686 and the provided HP profile, but have had to adjust the vacuum down to 50 or less. I am going to rebuild the profile and see if it helps.

Smoke_Jaguar

Been using boatloads of CH010A HP White Satin Poster paper, with zero issues. Then again, I am a maniac and am printing on a UCJV300 UV printer. No heater tends to help when it comes to things that like to warp.