• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Printer, Summa T160 Cutter and Flexi OPUS Issue

MattyB_OG

Hello,

I am new here to posting but have used this site to get questions answered for quite a while. I am having trouble with our current setup as we are switch plotters to the Summa T160. Everything is good to go except for print and cut process as the OPUS system won’t read registration marks at all, have tried OPUS XY and all drivers and data is up to date. Flexi software ad HP Latex 570 series printer. Any help here is greatly appreciated! Cheers and Happy Sign Making Wednesday!

MattyB_OG

So you send the cut job from Flexi and what happens then? Nothing?
I send the cut job and the Summa let’s me know it’s time to put the blade above the first mark so it can begin to scan registration marks. It scans and never stops just goes in a square patterns around the dot and never starts to cut. I have tried contour from flexi and also files with spot color cutting which was what we used prior with our graphtec

balstestrat

Problem Solver
And you have white material with the black square about 0,1inch wide?
Does it look for it on top of the mark?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Flexi should control the OPOS mode but make sure you have in the cutter selected the OPOS XY and same in flexi.
Then reboot cutter and you have to print a new test to try it.

MattyB_OG

Yea I have both settings set to OPUSXY, tried a reboot of everything yesterday after set up of summa, I also tried different settings like OPUS barcode and OPUS and OPUS X. coordinating the summa setting accordingly each time

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Just remember, every time you change it, you have to print a new job to test it.
Make sure there is nothing in the sensor blocking it like a piece of tape. There is also opos test in the cutter to see if the sensor works at all or not.

MattyB_OG

Just remember, every time you change it, you have to print a new job to test it.
Make sure there is nothing in the sensor blocking it like a piece of tape. There is also opos test in the cutter to see if the sensor works at all or not.
Okay thanks very much for your efforts and time!

natallica

Graphics Guru
I've had the same exact thing happen, and in my case the eyepiece on the bottom right of the head was 'clicked' up. Once I pushed downward it 'clicked' and sat closer to the vinyl....and viola!

Hope this helps.
-N8

Chimuka

I use a HP L310 and a Summa Sign 1400 ( the older cutter). First of all the printer does not print such great clean edges! My older cutter has some sensitivity settings in it that make the cutter less fussy finding the marks. Mine is called OPOS SETTINGS in the internal tests under menu. Newer cutters may have different terms. It seems like the first mark is the fussiest to sense. The instructions say place head above mark but I usually place it dead center. Sometimes because the HP's fuzzy print I will put a small piece of scotch tape over the mark that will remove the gloss. The OPOS head seems to like this better. Maybe try cutting from WINPLOT with the opos cut from the WinPlot menu. Back in the layout screen of Flexi make your layout and then put ( 4 ) 3MIL squares around your layout in the 4 corners. make some kind of contour cut and export the the graphic as a pdf to Winplot. This program too will ask you to find your first opos mark. It is interesting that the newer cutters are not any better than the old ones for finding opos marks.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I use a HP L310 and a Summa Sign 1400 ( the older cutter). First of all the printer does not print such great clean edges! My older cutter has some sensitivity settings in it that make the cutter less fussy finding the marks. Mine is called OPOS SETTINGS in the internal tests under menu. Newer cutters may have different terms. It seems like the first mark is the fussiest to sense. The instructions say place head above mark but I usually place it dead center. Sometimes because the HP's fuzzy print I will put a small piece of scotch tape over the mark that will remove the gloss. The OPOS head seems to like this better. Maybe try cutting from WINPLOT with the opos cut from the WinPlot menu. Back in the layout screen of Flexi make your layout and then put ( 4 ) 3MIL squares around your layout in the 4 corners. make some kind of contour cut and export the the graphic as a pdf to Winplot. This program too will ask you to find your first opos mark. It is interesting that the newer cutters are not any better than the old ones for finding opos marks.
Actually the new ones are way way better with the OPOS. In the old ones (like yours) the sensor is different and really bad compared to new ones.
OP just seems to have some bigger problem with his sensor not reading at all.

Chimuka

Actually the new ones are way way better with the OPOS. In the old ones (like yours) the sensor is different and really bad compared to new ones.
OP just seems to have some bigger problem with his sensor not reading at all.
Thanks, Good to know if I ever buy another cutter.

FrankW

If the sensor tries to read the marker at the correct position, but it will not recognize it, you could try a media calibration. print a black rectangle of 2 x 2 inches, start media calibration and follow the instruction on the screen.

With Flexi, you should not need to set any OPOS-Mode at the plotter, Flexi will set the plotter to the mode set in the software.

By the way, the systems name is OPOS (OPtical POsitioning System), not OPUS. If someone later tries to search for OPOS-Issues, this Thread will not be found.