• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Scitex FB700 + Onyx Job Question need Help

OutputTech

Hey All, I'm new to the site, and this is my first post so i hope someone could help me out. The Company i work for Just Got the HP Scitex FB700, i had some training but not extensive.
I never ran a flatbed before. We just receiver a new job order, We need to print a single image Across 7 panels.
The RIp I'm Using is onyx 10, i know how to tile on rolled media, but not rigid boards, does it work the same?
What the best way to set up a job that has to go across seven boards and align perfectly. Do i set overlap?
And how should i handle bleed? Another thing I'm having trouble with is having the art bleed off the board.
Is it okay if you print on the belt? When i increase the size of the art to bleed it tells me its going to be clipped Um :rolleyes:
Any tips, advice or comments would be much appreciated.:thankyou:

johnnysigns

Why wouldn't you handle the bleed/splitting the sheets up in prepress so you've just got 7 files to print?

I'm assuming you can bleed off the edges onto the belt drive, but someone can chime in w/ their first hand experiences.

particleman

So you are printing each board individually? Yes, tiling works the same, but not sure I would go that route if you want bleeds. Bleeds might be easier to do by hand.

Assuming you setup bleeds in illustrator or whatever you use on the sides, you would calibrate a negative margin on all sides you want to bleed. So if you want 1/4" bleed on both sides you should do -.25 on left and right sides and the job should be .5" oversized.

You can print right on the belt no problem, the printer will also tell you the job will be clipped, but it will actually still print it on the belt. The registration of this machine is good, the belt can't walk, so if your boards are square you will probably be pretty close without bleeds. However if it needs to be perfect, I would either start with a bigger board than you actually need and trim down or dial in the bleeds (this will be a little harder I think).

OutputTech

Thank you and Yes i think we should break the panels into 7 files.
What im worried about is when we put the panels together the graphic must be algin across all of them.

particleman

If the boards are perfectly square and loaded correctly you should be ok, but I don't know how big we're talking here. Like I said if you print onto the board and then trim down to size you should be able to make them align perfect.

SBTJC

I don't use onyx we use caldera but it shouldn't be a problem at all. You can print onto the belt. Just make sure you get some good tape to clean the belt off right away. If the belt gets to marked up, the media sensor will start to read wrong when detecting the media. The printer will actually tell you that it is reading multiple light to dark transitions.

OutputTech

I don't use onyx we use caldera but it shouldn't be a problem at all. You can print onto the belt. Just make sure you get some good tape to clean the belt off right away. If the belt gets to marked up, the media sensor will start to read wrong when detecting the media. The printer will actually tell you that it is reading multiple light to dark transitions.

Right i clean the belt with IPA, and ill try tape, just a strong masking tape?

johnnysigns

To further derail the topic what are you guys doing about custom shapes where you have to bleed off the boards? Where it's not possible or practical to cut after printing?

umeang

Edge-to-Edge printing is automatically enabled when the left, right top and bottom margins are set to zero and a job is sent to print that is the same width and height as the media loaded.
The procedures for loading media for Edge-to-Edge printing are the same for any other media, but the additional considerations should be made:
1. “Centered” print position should be used. The Print Position is set on the printer’s control panel under “Printing -> Options -> Print Position and Eject Settings”.
2. The “Maximal” media measurement method is recommended, or “Standard” may be used if the media is square. With the Standard or Maximal media measurement method, the printer will detect if the media is loaded askew and give the option to reload or use as is.

This is what manual said. Hope these help you.