• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Scitex FB700 Win7Pro_64bit

Corrcon1

Hello all!
I'm wondering if anyone has used the FB700 with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OS?
I'd like to use a 64 bit OS to get around the 4gig usable ram limitation. I have a Core I7 system with 24gigs of ram and would like to make use of it.

I have talked to HP and was told that it "should" work but it would be best to test with an actual system before purchasing the FB700. I don't have access to an FB700 or know of any in the Houston area that I could test out.

I'm new here and would like to get some info on your collective experiences & knowledge on this. I appreciate the help!

:)

Mspec

The FB700 connects via TCP/IP so the only question is if Onyx supports that platform, and version X-10 Production House does run on 64 bit Win 7, but they do not list your processor. Check with Onyx, if they like your CPU you should be in business.

Corrcon1

Thanks for the reply!

I have a green light from Onyx on the OS and processor. I do need to perform a live test before spending the money on the equipment only to find out afterward it won't work with Win 7/64.
We are currently using XP/32 with an FB950 and want to get away from the VideoNet protocol altogether. We could go with Win 7/32 but then there is the 4gig ram cap.
I'm hoping for the best.

Corrcon1

In case anyone is interested... The official response from HP (it took over 2 weeks) is:
"[FONT=&quot]The RIP will work well with 64 bit, Windows 7 (using Onyx X10 RIP) and the Scitex FB700."

[/FONT]

BPSAFF

Thanks for that information

I am about to purchase the HP FB500 and that was one of my questions on my check list.....I can now mark it off thanks to your research. Greatly appreciated.

dgtlrob

The question is not if the HP FB700 is supported but that the rip (onyx) in this case is -- and the correct answer is yes but no. Onyx will run but because it is only an 8bit application (other than Jaws) the application has a 2gig file limit. I personally upgraded all rip computers to dual processors (HP Z800) (win7pro/64) and the biggest disappointment was the one running ONYX. Spending extra money on hardware that runs ONYX is I believe wasteful...
If you think I am crazy call ONYX and ask if it is true that there software is written on an 8 bit platform -- and when they give you the answer ask how an 8 bit application can handle more than 2 gigs (the math is very easy).

Last edited: