• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Z2100 24" Wide format Printer

Maritimer

Hello all...anyone familiar with the HP Z2100 24" wide format printer? I'm wondering if this would be suitable for a small sign shop. Currently just have a vinyl plotter

HP Z-series are aqueous printers with entended inksets. They also include an embedded spectrophotometer to make profiling media easier. Like all water-based printers, the Z-series require coated media which can often cost much more than solvent media, particularly on PVC-based products.

wes70

I have a Z2100 24". I use it for indoor and some short term outdoor prints. What plans do you have for the printer?

TripleRock

I've used the HP Z6100PS for well over a year and they can make beautiful photographic prints on certain media types (instant dry photo satin). It's the first ever hp that I've used that can hit pantone colors (reflex blue... instead of purple). Unless you laminate things, the prints are not the most durable. Most of your cost of supplies are a lot more than solvent printing. I did see a refurbished 44" z2100 at newegg for $3599.

Maritimer

thks for the replies...It would mainly be used for outdoor industrial signage. The printer comes with older flexi-sign software(5.? I believe) but I believe downloads are available to work with XP. I have Flexisign 8.1. I've heard "frog juice" works pretty good as a clear top finish. I don't do alot of "high end graphics" and work alot with Industrial accounts.

I'm in eastern Canada and not sure about supplies such as inks and any parts if needed down the road. I'm trying to learn CorelDraw...not sure if this would work with this printer.

wes70

I would suggest that you go with an eco solvent or solvent printer if you need prints for outdoor use, especially where the prints will be used as industrial signage.

P.S. With my HP, I print directly from Corel with no problems at all.

TripleRock

I would go with an more outdoor geared eco solvent printer too. If you do searches on ebay or craigslist you can find some pretty good deals. As far as lam goes with Aqueous printer, about the cheapest thing I've used as far as lam goes for outdoor scrim banner (not adhesive vinyl) is GBC's AccuShield Clear. There might be something cheaper out there.

Maritimer

great feedback thks....I'm going to look for a Mimaki or or Roland eco solvent printer as you suggest. I thiink I'd be better off to spend this money towards better equipment