• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hp Z6800 Designjet - No Cmyk Onyx Profiles

PrintReadyFile

I have been struggling with this one a while... and no one seems to have any answers. PLEASE HELP!

We have had a pair of z6200's for a while now, and my company decided to give us a used z6800 from another branch. upon loading the machine we (including the hp/contracted rep) were VERY confused to see only one set of profiles listed for this machine through ONYX. The problem is... the profile is RGB contone 300 dpi with CMY set as main channels...... which would be fine if we were a photo printer... maybe(not maybe)... but we are not.

I went a ahead and tried profiling my own... we wanted to make use of the CMYK contone abilities this printer boasts but the colour profiling always turned a little weird... so I decided since we have a pair to downgrade my profile to the same one as the z6200... but one of my papers (HP Heavyweight Coated) wont print...

so, im stumped. and kind of miffed that ONYX and HP failed to make available proper profiles for this machine.

any ideas?

PrintReadyFile

How did the colour profiling turn a little weird?
The profiling on ONYX for this machine gives three options: RGB contone, CMYK (stochastic halftone) and CMYK contone.

I have an alright profile made with the basic CMYK option, but it does not access the light grey, red or matte/photo black. it also is close to the z6200 profile for the same media but comes up short on having the full tonal range it should

when I attempt to use the CMYKR (same as the z6200 profiles already), or CMYKRlgmk or any other combo available in the wizard, either under CMYK halftone or CMYK contone... I get TRC's (tonal reproduction curves) that seem great until I print and realize either they replace magenta with red in shaded areas or skintones turn blue (I made about 12 different attempts, twelve different results... none accurate enough to stay with)

I am in no way a colour expert... I get the basics and have been doing this for almost a decade... plus an art degree with colour theory...but my abilities stop short of being able to properly make use of the colour gamut and abilities this machine has.

since this is a faster machine, we want to be able to pair it with our z6200's for faster turn arounds on our clients jobs...but since the z6200 profiles don't properly work on this machine I am beginning to think this is something I just wont get... but my real complaint is the lack of plug and play, but that's not your issue