• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP315

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
So, I have a customer that I print decals for a nationwide company. The colors in the decals are fairly light. light orange, light blue, light green. Anyway, theres not a lot of ink being sprayed onto the vinyl. As a result, the vinyl gets too hot (?) I think. and it buckles. when it buckles it hits the heaters and causes the print to become scuffed. So a print run for this customer causes me to babysit my printer so as to have the good prints.
Does anyone know what I can turn my temp down to so that it wont buckle and hit the heater but still dry?

amw

Longtime Members
Sorry I cant offer info on changing the heater settings. However I find that using the take up reel solves pretty much all issues related to material hitting the heaters.
I realize the 315 doesn't come with one. If you have issues, you might want to think about getting an aftermarket one, or getting the HP one.

Hopefully someone else can give you some advice on heater settings!

So, I have a customer that I print decals for a nationwide company. The colors in the decals are fairly light. light orange, light blue, light green. Anyway, theres not a lot of ink being sprayed onto the vinyl. As a result, the vinyl gets too hot (?) I think. and it buckles. when it buckles it hits the heaters and causes the print to become scuffed. So a print run for this customer causes me to babysit my printer so as to have the good prints.
Does anyone know what I can turn my temp down to so that it wont buckle and hit the heater but still dry?
What is the media class you are using (SAV/ paper/ other film)?

You can edit the cure temperature in the media/ print mode being used. This is accessed from the printer front panel under the Media Library icon.

FCD

What’s the material, and what cure temp is it set to?

Ewedde

Premium Subscriber
I have a 335, I’ve found that the better vinyl doesn’t buckle while the cheaper, generally thinner vinyl does.
You can also probably work around this if you don’t want to use a heavier vinyl by advancing the vinyl just to where you can touch it, past the heaters, and then run the print. Gives it a little weight downward that helps it not to scrub heaters.

If you wanted to print a lower temp, can turn up Inter pass delay. Prints slower but allows you to turn temp down and still get a good dry.

ikarasu

Generally only cheap vinyl buckles... Or more importantly vinyl that uses thin cheap backing paper. Cheap 3m and cheap Avery works great.

You can turn down the temp.... I'ts been awhile since I used our 3xx printer, but you should be able to do it in media settings. If you turn it down, you may want to add an interpass delay so it sits under the heater longer - best to use low heat, but longer dwell time in order for the ink to dry. At least that's the way I've always done it when we used cheaper media that buckles...or window perf since window perf tends to do the same.

I hate when people post videos and says to watch it.... But I learned most of the things I've learned from this guy on YouTube, he's a great resource..... And I guarantee almost any problem or setting you want fixed, he's got a video about it - and he explains why stuff happens, how to correct it... Without being an encyclopedia and boring you. Most of the vids are under 5 mins, it's a good channel to bookmark!

citysignshop

Generally only cheap vinyl buckles... Or more importantly vinyl that uses thin cheap backing paper. Cheap 3m and cheap Avery works great.
Most of the vids are under 5 mins, it's a good channel to bookmark!

totally agree.....the HP videos are pretty good and comprehensive....he even addresses some of the common faults, and provides tips and workarounds! ( tacitly admitting that the machine isn't good at everything!) I usually skip the first and last minute, and turn the video speed up to 1.25 at least, or even 'chipmunk' mode (1.5 speed) to get thru the blah blah blah until I see him actually demo the thing I want to see!
I find the outfeed table under the heater on the 3xx machines is too flat, and a lot of rigid materials curve and touch the heater. Using a leader and clipping a weight to it for the first few feet helps ( of course, this only works until the weight touches the floor!)
Yes, babysitting these printers is a way of life for shorter jobs or difficult media.
hp weight.jpg