• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP360 color inconsistencies lately

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We've been having some strange issues with our HP360. We're using Flexi Production Manager RIP..
Co-worker exported a batch of files as pdf (raster and vector elements). Prints are good but one of the prints gets ruined during installation. Export the 1 re-print as a pdf same as before and now the raster image prints with a different shade around it. The raster image is a transparent png on a blue sign. The blue behind the transparent image is slightly lighter than the blue background of the sign. Had no problems printing the first go around but every print after would fail. Absolutely no change in profile or setup.
Couple of days later I send a batch of signs (raster & vector mix) as pdf. Same issue. One transparent raster image has a background color shift. I had to use a powerclip/clipping mask to get the "transparent" image to print without a background color shift.
A week later we send a batch of prints that need to match a specific pantone color. We first send a test print with vector only pantone filled squares. Comes out a near perfect match to our pantone swatch book. So I ensure the same pantone is used in the sign to be printed. Yes, the signs have both raster and vector elements. Export as pdf using the exact same settings. Now the same pantone vector elements are way out. I ended up rasterizing the whole bit as CMYK and got the job out. The pantone were slightly different but "close enough" I chalk that up to the RIP converting the cmyk to CMYKLcLm

p.s. RIP, Flexi, was recently updated to latest version about 3 weeks ago. That's what I blame but....

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
The title of your post is directed at the machine and the end of your post is blaming the RIP.

IMO, what you’re describing is a workflow issue and not a printer or RIP issue. What you’re claiming as “absolute” is probably not as you believe. So, maybe re-visit the critical path by making some tests to find the problem. Otherwise, printing control files regularly would have told you immediately if the problem was the printer or the new RIP.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Test print 1 = vector square with pantone fill - exported as pdf
Test print 2 - vector sq w/pantone & transparent png/tif on blue background.
Test 1 is perfect
test 2 vector pantone is way out & transparent raster image has a background color shift.
upload_2019-6-5_12-34-10.png

Dan360

Only ever seen that when the files weren't made/saved properly. Is that a CMYK file with a vector pantone swatch and an RGB PNG in it?

Looks like transparency problems that are confusing the RIP or the document colour space is not properly specified.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
blue background is cmyk vector, pantone colored square, and transparent rgb png. Best way we've found to match pantone colors would be to use pdf.

upload_2019-6-5_12-58-36.png
upload_2019-6-5_12-59-44.png

Dan360

I would convert that PNG to a CMYK jpeg with a white background and make a clipping mask for the circle shape on the placed image instead of placing an RGB PNG with a transparent background. That should also fix your pantone colour because pantones don't get along with transparencies.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I would convert that PNG to a CMYK jpeg with a white background and make a clipping mask for the circle shape on the placed image....

Yes, that's what my solution was. Except no need to "flatten" the png or convert to jpg. Just powerclip into a circle. - still a workaround not an acceptable fix
What about the pantone color shift? No reason for it to change just because raster images are thrown in the mix.
And yes, my theory was that the transparent raster images weren't mixing well with vector backgrounds. Still doesn't explain why it worked the first go around.

HecklnDecalr

We have had the same issue with a few files. We have not found a fix, only workarounds. The pantone color-shift is a REAL pain in the ass. We had almost half a roll of print go in the garbage because of that.
We are not on the latest version of flexi. As a matter of fact we are using an older version of flexi 12 as we were having issues with the production manager crashing randomly after an update. SAi support was not able to remedy the issue so they just told us to download an earlier version. Not sure if its a Flexi issue but you could try using an earlier version of Flexi. If you contact them they will direct you to a download link.