• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP5000ps / UV Color questions

HP5000ps

Howdy,

I am new to this printer, My blue's are coming out a consistent purple.

Any thoughts?

I am using Publisher 2007 {I know blame it on that, however I have used it for years with no trouble color wise}

I am printing on LexJet Tough Guard Vinyl.

This is all new to me so any help is appreciated.

Thanks

The simplest (and most useless) answer is because the printer is putting down too much magenta ink in the areas that should be blue, causing the shift into the purple range. The real question is, why is this happening? There are several possible causes.

1) Monitor is not calibrated. What you see on-screen is more purple than you think.
2) RIP being used is laying down too much magenta. This is caused by a variety of factors in the RIP. As I see you are using a hardware RIP built into the printer (the PS in HP Designjet 5000PS), your options are somewhat limited.

One option would be to select a different 'media' type on the control panel of the printer itself. The media selection is calling a specific set of conditions that include default color information built into the printer itself (rendering intent, output profile, ink restrictions etc). By changing the media on the printer's control panel, you change these settings. As this is an on-board RIP, you cannot create new media settings from scratch (although you can change the ICC component of the media). That printer offers medias that are characterized as HP, and non-HP branded medias. Try another media setting and test the results on a reference test print.

Billct2

Try setting up a color chart in your design program then print this on the material,
it will show you how the colors will actually look and you can then pick the closest colors to use in the design.

dmrcleveland

Blue purples

It is probably not your printer rather printing out of a Microsoft program. I did seminars for HP for two years (2500/3500/1000/5000) and my recommendation was to build a color chart in any Microsoft program and then print it out to your printer. This is a "color reference" chart. If you or a client hands you a file you know will be a problem, you simply go back to your reference chart and change your problematic color into something off the chart. It's pretty easy. I'm guessing you probably are not seeing the same kind of issues if you print from a Photoshop/Illustrator/PDF file?

Good Luck

HP5000ps

I am Not sure how to build a color chart...Still researching that.

I printed it as a PDF file, no change in the color.

I went back into the Publisher 2007 file & changed the line color from RBG to CMYK and that that changed the line color & the logo color to more of a true / what it is supposed to be.

It also printed my logo in the logo's true color.

The other text, pictures, Text box w/ Yellow RGB background fill all came out fine.

I have to read more on the Microsoft page.

I did a printhead recover & they all checked out fine.

Thanks for the tips I appreciate them.

dmrcleveland

Color Chart

Creating a color chart is pretty easy. Just start by filling boxes with color. Another way to do it is to look for a pre-existing color chart (Pantone has some downloadable ones), open it in Publisher and then print it out. You can then compare the printed colors you like to what you see on the screen. This gives you a print reference to a computer color. Hang the chart up somewhere or keep it in a drawer so that when you need to call up a color in publisher, you can grab your color chart, see what color coorisponds to what you want to print and then create your file using that color.

BTW.... CMYK is almost always better than RGB files when using onboard HP PS models. They do not do such a great job translating RGB to printer CMYK.

animenick65

It is probably not your printer rather printing out of a Microsoft program. I did seminars for HP for two years (2500/3500/1000/5000) and my recommendation was to build a color chart in any Microsoft program and then print it out to your printer. This is a "color reference" chart. If you or a client hands you a file you know will be a problem, you simply go back to your reference chart and change your problematic color into something off the chart. It's pretty easy. I'm guessing you probably are not seeing the same kind of issues if you print from a Photoshop/Illustrator/PDF file?

Good Luck

It is certainly the printer. Our 5500 does the same as well. It can hit just about any other color fairly dead on. Blues are very very tough to get right on this thing.