• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HPDesignjet 5500PS Print Head Problem

BMurphy688

Hi All,

Need some suggestions to resolve print head replacement errors... Several days ago, after replacing the magenta ink cartridge, the printer decided it no longer liked the yellow print head.. OK, I happened to have a new one in stock, so I changed it... At first, the printer accepted the new head, asking me to change print head cleaner as well, which i did... After going through it start up routines, the display said to re-seat the cartridge, which I did... At first it said, OK, then it asked to re-seat again..

This time, I cleaned the contacts carefully, both the printer and contacts on the side of the print head, not the bottom... No luck... Not only no luck with the new yellow. The printer now decided it no longer liked the cyan print head...

At the suggestion of a tech I've used in the past, he said to try one more print head to see if there was an issue with new print head. In addition to purchasing another yellow, i went ahead and purchased a cyan...

Now, I've cleaned all the contacts of each color, both machine and print head... Installed the new print head... At first said everything was ok... The printer made the start up noises, and as soon as the carriage attempted to move back to the start position from the access area, the printer asked to re-seat the yellow print head...

I've gone through this several times and have received a combination of re-seat and replace messages... Sometimes just the yellow or the combination of yellow and cyan... never just the cyan alone.

Does anyone have any suggestions of where to go now? The tech though it would be the carriage needing to be replaced which the part alone runs 1500.

Murph

Bill Modzel

Before I retired mine, it always asked me to reseat the cyan printhead.
If it asked again, I would pop ALL of them out and right back in and for some reason, it usually worked.

No answer here, just a makeshift solution I used.

Bly

Like Bill said, pull them all and reseat them.
Before doing anything too hasty you can also try going through the tube changeover process as if you are switching to dye inks. I forget the buttons to press but it tells you to pull the heads and cleaners then tubes. No need to pull the tubes just let it reboot and replace heads and cleaners. Worth a try.