• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HPDesignjet 5500ps

BMurphy688

Hey all,

New to the site and have found some great advice. Thank you to all for sharing.

A friend of mine has several printers up for sale due to the loss of a great man, his father.

The first up is a designjet 5500ps that I am very interested in, however, not sure if I will be able to get outdoor material out of it. It's currently set up with UV ink.

Do you need to have a laminator for the 5500ps? Cold or warm?

If out door is capable, what would be a fair price for the family as well as myself. They have been very good to me over the years.

In addition, other printers up for grabs, novajet 700 (1) 500's (2). The 500's are up for 250 each, not sure what would be a fair price for the 700.

I'm not asking for people to buy them as I am interested. What are fair prices for these units?

Not sure of the exact ages, but I'm sure they've been in use for many years.

Thanks.

Murph

Billct2

The Designjet is a great machine but only good for short term outdoor signs (6months) and laminating is a necessary for much of it's output.
You can start by laminating by hand (or with a big squeege).
Check out ebay, they're on there all the time, price depends on size.

Checkers

The HP is a very good printer. The Encads are ok. I ran a 700 series for several years.
If you get the Encad 700, make sure you get the service contract for about $2000(?) a year, you'll need it if you use the printer a lot.
Since they're not solvent printers, they use coated media and lamination is pretty much required. Do it right the first time and get a good laminator. The big squeege is a great product, but it can be limiting.
As Bill pointed out, these printers are not meant for long term outdoor projects. Although, a banner I printed with the Encad using pigmented inks still looked good after 4 years. It was mounted to a north facing wall, under an awning.
Also, if you're going to take the plunge into digital printing, be prepared to spend a lot more than the cost of a printer and laminator. You'll probably need a new computer, rip software, color management hardware and software and lots of training. Then you'll need media, laminate and ink.

Checkers

animenick65

We have a 5500ps with UV here. Runs great. Probably the printer with the smallest learning curve you'll ever see. We have no problem with getting 2 years or more out of outdoor prints with the right materials. We always use cold lam for outdoor stuff and hot for indoor.

BMurphy688

We have a 5500ps with UV here. Runs great. Probably the printer with the smallest learning curve you'll ever see. We have no problem with getting 2 years or more out of outdoor prints with the right materials. We always use cold lam for outdoor stuff and hot for indoor.

What is the 'right material' you refer too? Also, why cold for outdoor and hot for indoor?

Thanks.

Murph

Tony McD

There are a lot of adhesive back vinyls that will work with the HP rated for 6 months to a year, but 3m makes the only 3 year rated vinyl that I ever found, and you have to laminate with their laminate. We would leave about a quarter inch of laminate around the print to encapsulate it to the surface. This combination is a bit pricey, so it would be hard to compete with it.

These are coated vinyls, so without laminating the surface becomes chalky and the image begins to flake.

I have a 2' x 3' print on a bus from about 3 years ago that still looks good with the laminated 3m material. You could get use it with mild curves, but something like a wrap wouldn't work.

The HP is a great printer, I still use mine for indoor stuff a couple times a month. The inks are expensive but last a long time. OEM uv inks with print heads and cleaners are close to $300 each, and there's six colors. I never strayed from OEM inks in the printer I have.

I've had three encads, two 42e's and a 500, and you couldn't give me one today. Nozzles drying up all the time, and ink everywhere.

Out of the printers mentioned, the HP would by far be my pick.

If you're doing mainly outdoor stuff, save up for a versacamm, etc...

my 2 pennies

Billct2

There's a guy advesrtising one here for $3500, which sounds like a great price for one in good shape.
I use Lexjet inks, a lot cheaper than HP and they are very reliable.

BMurphy688

Thank you

Hey all,

Just wanted to say thank you for all your replies... I went for the 5500ps 60inch, and have my first job.... Looking forward to learning...

Thanks..

Murph