• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HS15 cutter has stopped working PLEASE help!

syclonesjs

Hi guys,

Hope someone can help.

My HS15 cutter has just stopped working. It powers up fine and does the correct bleeps/flashes but the carriage doesn't slide to the far end like it used to to complete the boot up sequence. No response from the buttons either.

Can anyone help, i REALLY need to get this up and running but i fear a hefty Gerber tech/parts bill looming :(

Thanks in advance

Simon

GARY CULY

this may sound dumb but the SINGLE most thing ive ever done [fred told me this years ago] is first unplug everything ,all the cables the power and hook it all back up first...there thats done.. next check sensors ..make sure they can "see" [clean them from debris] now if that dont fix go on to other more complicated things

but take a couple minutes to eliminate the simple things....its honestly worked for me 3 times ever.2 FROM CONNECTIONS 1 FROM DIRTY SENSOR

Drip Dry

If it's not a simple thing to fix then I think before you have Gerber service it, you should consider buying a used one.
I think there's a ton of used HS15 cutters on the market.
I bet a Gerber service call is $500. or $600.

syclonesjs

Thanks guys,

I did wonder if it was something simple as surely a more serious error would show up when you power it on and you get the error flashes.

Where would i be looking to get at various sensors etc (i'm guessing opening up the case fully) something i havent done but ive built a fair few PC's from scratch so not scared to have a look see.

Artildawn

been a long time since I've worked with an HS15 but I do remember having a similar issue due to carriage strike sensor getting stuck so that when booted the machine would read the carriage as stuck even though it wasn't

syclonesjs

ah!........now thinking about it it did have jam recently when it started cutting a bit too close to the end of the vinyl and it got caught up.

How did you reset the strike sensor?

Artildawn

IIRC we manually popped it back out and oiled the slide mechanism to keep it from sticking... but it's been about 20 years.