• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hubby & Wifey in the work place?

GB2

Old Member
Maybe this is off track a bit but just to point out that there could be a couple of benefits to having your business in your wife's name. She could boost her Social Security contribution in case anything happened to you, also your business may be entitled to contracts set aside for minority or women owned businesses.

michsanford

I work with my significant other/boyfriend. For the most part it is great! He works ALL THE TIME...serious from 9a to midnight, so I would never get to see him if I didn't work there.

I seem to think we are a good "team". And I get paid as we can afford it. Alot this week, not so much another....and that is okay with me, because I know how much is coming in..and how much more is going out!!!!!!!!!!!

We were together before we actually worked together..so no smart comments please...LOL

phototec

Working together...

Benefits to having your business in your wife's name, your business may be entitled to contracts set aside for minority or women owned businesses.

Yeppers, my buddy who owns a mid sized sign shop, husband, wife, two sons, full-time bookkeeper, full-time screen printer, full time banner hemmer, and 3 to 4 general helpers, put his business in his wife's name a few years ago, so he could get state and government printing jobs that go to women/minority owned business.

As far as the husband/wife argument goes, they have gotten along pretty well for the last 25 years working together.

Good Post!:rock-n-roll:

Fatboy

Put your wife on the till and everything she steals she spent on you and the children anyway. That has been working for me for 17 years.

mms27

Hubby/Wife thing

We bought my father in law's sign business 2 years ago and sometime in the past year I (the wife) have become involved more-mostly with the office tasks. It is a "family" business especially now, with father-in-law, husband, son, myself.There's another employee. At first I felt it was bumpy but I have come to understand how I best help. I have learned some sign making skills, and sometimes mess up...while our talented son explains the mess up to me and fixes things.
The bottom line is-we have been married over 30 years and our married relationship is stronger because of the common interest and commitment to the business.
:wink:
So I took my wife to the SGIA show in Vegas and she seems to be showing some real interest in getting involved in my business. She has no experience however she has come to the shop to help out a couple times in the past. She likes her current job but I get the feeling she's getting board and is looking for a change.
I'm pretty much a one man show at this point. I sub out most of my installs now. I can easily take care of all of my production but that doesn't leave me much time to do sales - I'm not much of a salesperson anyways and frankly, I don't really like doing sales.
I've always wanted a salesperson to help bring in the work. So, I've been thinking, maybe this is the answer I've been waiting for.
How many of you are doing the husband/wife power couple thing?
How is it working for you?
More importantly, (I've really been scratching my head over this one) how do you go about training an inexperienced individual to sell stuff they really no nothing about?

Custom_Grafx

Very interesting post and fun to read everyones experiences. I just recently got married and wife isn't locked in anywhere at the moment so the topic is also on my mind. I'm leaning more towards the idea that unless she really wants to do it I don't think it's a good idea.

TheSnowman

My wife used to work with me everyday, and then she would go work at night, until we had a kid. It was great. I wasn't sure how I would do it without her, but either I got more efficient, or business dropped off...I'm not sure which, and I've been able to handle most of it. She will still help me lay big prints, or if I have a ton of stuff to weed for some reason, she will come help me...but for the most part, just me now.

I miss the days of working together. Made the day go a lot faster, and it was fun to talk and dream about stuff together all day.

G

Ginger

Been working with my husband for 5 years now. It has it's ups and downs, what else can you say?

klemgraphics

It would never work for me, I do everything around here, sales, design, production, books, everything. She would drive me nuts at the slow pace she works at and the inability to do most tasks required. I tried it once when we were dating until one day when I had her weeding some really tiny stuff...went out into the shop for a few hours and when I came back all I saw was crying/screaming until she stormed out.
She is the first to admit that she has absolutely no clue as to what I am working on, how busy/how good business is. I hear her say all the time that it's probably better that way, since she would be stressed out all the time.

Then there are the times when things aren't working right for me and I get pissed...tools go flying as do the f bombs...scared her pretty good one day she was hanging out at the shop.

She is happy(as much as any wife that has to work is) doing what she does(RN) and letting me do what I do, and so am I.

Wish it would work as I could enjoy a nooner every now and then but it never could.

On a side note I have told her several times that her good looks paired with the right low cut shirt could sell me some high dollar signs.:Big Laugh

Sticky Signs

Wow, old thread coming back to life. Well, since I originally posted the thread, there has been some talk about wifey getting more involved with things. But so far it's just been talk. I've told her several times that I'm not going to drag her into this. At the same time, I've also told her that if she's serious, her actions will speak louder than words. So far I haven't seen much action so I guess I'll just keep on truckin'.

signswi

I worked with my wife in the same non-profit for three years, it was fantastic. We're in different companies now but the business I'm in at the moment is led by a husband and wife team, seems to work pretty well for them. It's sometimes a bit weird for me as their son also works here and for a while I was the only non-family employee, which was an odd dynamic, but we've been hiring again and that's started to subside. </smallbusinesspsychology>

trik

My wife loves what I do, and she has been at the shop several times when I am swamped and needed help. She had fun with me, but did not like the work, wanted to be out front with customers, etc. But she loves her real job...lol Once we referred a friend to work where she does, and they called me for a reference, I said I would love to have my wife and her friend come work for me, her boss said I could not have my wife...lol She is the hardest worker I know, and I am blessed!!!! Now if I can get her to read this thread...he he he

GypsyGraphics

i was wrapping a car and my husband was outside watching
people would stop and ask HIM questions about wraps (guess they thought he was the boss)
he knows nothing about wrapping but he's chatting it up
answering all their questions (mostly all wrong)
never once directed the questions to me :banghead:
later i told him he either can't be out with me when i'm working
or he has to NOT answer question he know nothing about...
told him his job is to just stand there and look pretty :tongue:

ionsigns

Wife as assistant

Worked shoulder-to-shoulder with wife in 1995. Marginal success until son got cancer (survived) but she left to be caregiver. My experience...spouse should have good DIY and hand skills. Mine needed retraining almost every day.
But in the past 15 years has enjoyed weeding but no eye for detail so sometimes ruins the weed not noticing lost dots, dashes etc. Hope it works FOR YOU!

In a perfect world the spouse would be killer hottie who can sell and enjoys cold calls. Cold calls are easy when mommy is a *ILF. Just sayin' even though that IS a sexist statement.

vinylbarry

Wife and Husband team for 5 years and its been 99% good. The bad side is both share the stress of up and down times. With our location we moved in last June we have totally seperate work areas. Its funny are phones have intercom and the ring you can tell its her but its cool because with 5000 sq feet you like being able to awnser a phone instead of walking all the way from 1 end to the other for a simple question.

S'N'S

Actors say "never work with children or animals" ...... I say "never work with family or friends" :noway: