• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Huge corrugated plastic sign-need help with quote

dj_elite

So a customer of mine wants a simple sign, just huge! It is going to be compiled of three 8'x4' corrugated signs lengthwise for a total of 4'x24'. I would have to install this also. Top portion would screw into wood, bottom portion would need some type of wood (strapping) anchored to the concrete blocks to make up the difference and to screw the sign(s) into. Quick Pshop below of what it will look like. What would you guys charge?

Attachments

• universal stone building sign.jpg
    universal stone building sign.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 99

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Based on that layout.... I wouldn't get the job. You need a better layout to submit to your client.

Anyway, let's see some of your figures and reasoning so we don't spin our wheels unnecessarily. :thumb:

dj_elite

he had huge banners before! They all tore off in the wind, so he doesnt want banners anymore. The Pshop was quick just to show you guys. I guess he spent close to $15000 on the previous banners. they wrapped around the whole building. 3 months later they all ripped off. Needless to say he wasnt happy! corrugated plastic was his idea. I wanted to do wood. I was thinking around $1200.Seems high for corrugated plastic, but time plus size. I dunno what do you guys think? sorry for the crappy typing eating a late lunch

GoodPeopleFlags

Coroplast will start to disenegrate after a couple of years.

Banners won't fail like that if installed correctly.

If not a banner, go with something permanent, like Alumacore or polymetal.

Billct2

Sorry...properly installed banners is a better soulution.
Coro will have the same problems if improperly installed...and if they last any length of time they will become brittle and shatter, probably during a good winter storm.
I would use dibond or maybe scooter board , or even those 4x8 bath panels from HD

dj_elite

The customer doesn't want banners, he just wants a cheap solution to drive in customers. His store sits sideways to a main road and is set back about 400ft from it behind another building. I should just convince him to use wood panels huh? It was his idea for the corrugated plastic, I tried to tell him but they know it all!

dj_elite

Sorry...properly installed banners is a better soulution.
Coro will have the same problems if improperly installed...and if they last any length of time they will become brittle and shatter, probably during a good winter storm.
I would use dibond or maybe scooter board , or even those 4x8 bath panels from HD

Bath panels from home depot? Wouldn't those crack way before corrugated would?

Billct2

No, they're a masonite product with a factory finish, I built many masonite signs that lasted 10 or more years if properly finished & installed.
As a mtter of fact several of them were up in your neck of the woods. One of them lasted so long I saw it out front of a "Collectables & Antiques" store.
But the best solution is a dibond type panel

Gino

Premium Subscriber
he had huge banners before! They all tore off in the wind, so he doesnt want banners anymore. The Pshop was quick just to show you guys. I guess he spent close to $15000 on the previous banners. they wrapped around the whole building. 3 months later they all ripped off. Needless to say he wasnt happy! corrugated plastic was his idea. I wanted to do wood. I was thinking around $1200.Seems high for corrugated plastic, but time plus size. I dunno what do you guys think? sorry for the crappy typing eating a late lunch

Are you serious about that number ?? :omg: I'm surprised he'd have spent that kinda money, they fail and then choose someone that is willing to use corroplast on the side of a building as a temp/perm sign. He sounds like a glutton for punishment.

If you'd use 10mm Cor-X, you'll have a chance of it lasting for a year or two.

So, you'd have about $105. worth of materials and supplies. The rest is all your time, plus about 2 or so hours to get up there and instal it. You do the math. What's your shop time, overhead, profit and travel time worth ??

dj_elite

On my previous signs i use cabinet making plywood, its about $60 a sheet. Paint it with a high quality outdoor paint and apply vinyl. I have signs up from 6 years ago here in new england weather and they still look new! I should just convince him for that instead of corrugated. But on another note if hes stubborn what would you guys charge for the corrugated? I dont like to do inferior work, but if hes stuck in his ways its hard to pass the job, I got a baby on the way

dj_elite

Yeah when he told me the price on the banners I couldn't believe it! Someone made some money! And then to tell me they all fell off in 3 months! Id be ringing someones neck!

SignManiac

The banners must have been $1,500 not $15,000.

I would ditch the phone number, why are they going to call when they're already in front of his place. I'd focus on a better reading design for the granite counter tops. that's all he need for them to see from a distance.

Billct2

This job has red flags all over it. Be sure you get everything in writing, and get 50% plus balance on DELIVERY.
Also, generic dibond will cost less than $60 a sheet and you don't have to do anything to it.

Pat Whatley

You can offer him a guarantee on the banner if you do it correctly and you won't have to worry about it.

If you do use coro push for the 10mm stuff. If he won't go with that and he wants the thin stuff make sure when you're putting the board across the bottom you also install a couple of vertical boards behind the seams to secure everything with.

dj_elite

This job has red flags all over it. Be sure you get everything in writing, and get 50% plus balance on DELIVERY.
Also, generic dibond will cost less than $60 a sheet and you don't have to do anything to it.

I'm going to have to look into it, sounds like a good product. As for the banners i cant stress it enough, he doesn't want any. Yes he paid almost $15000, not $1500. They wrapped around the whole building, they were HUGE! As for the phone number it is must, like I said the building is like 400ft from a main road and its the side of the building not the front

Gino

Premium Subscriber
On my previous signs i use cabinet making plywood, its about $60 a sheet. Paint it with a high quality outdoor paint and apply vinyl. I have signs up from 6 years ago here in new england weather and they still look new! I should just convince him for that instead of corrugated. But on another note if hes stubborn what would you guys charge for the corrugated? I dont like to do inferior work, but if hes stuck in his ways its hard to pass the job, I got a baby on the way

Are you aware of the fact that you can purchase the perfect material for outdoor projects ?? It's called MDO.

Cabinet plywood needs to be sealed, primed and painted with quite a few coats to make them nice and durable. You should go to a sign show like the one coming up in Atlantic City in December and see all the wonderful products thay already have available for our industry instead of using products actually made for interior use only.