• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Huge corrugated plastic sign-need help with quote

DVMike

Sounds like some really good recomendations you're getting from these folks !
If I were to take on the project, I would consider using a Signabond / Polymetal, or my favorite substrate ...KOMATEX.

As far as pricing :
Pricing is a tricky part. I used to have a set price per foot on the 3D signs that I route in HDU or wood as well as banners, Coro, aluminum etc. Each substate had a set price that depended on the overhead and the amount of time invested, not to mention 5 meetings and changes in design, etc etc etc.
Then when my shop got to the point where I had to start employing others I quickly discovered that the price per foot didn't work so well anymore. After paying wages, workers Comp, employee tax , Liability insurance , etc , I had to change.
The bottom line of this long winded response is that one set method of pricing doesn't work for everyone .
If its a hobby , that's one thing. If your livelyhood relys on pricing ,it's another. You have to make that decision .

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry DV. That is NOT a job for Komatex or any other PVC product.... especially as far north as he is. That substrate and others like it become totally brittle in below freezing temperatures and can easily shatter if hit with a snowball or a good stiff wind.

dj_elite

Its a lively hood and Im the only employee, except when i need help i get my retired dad to help and pay him cash. MDO is what I use, I just thought it was for cabinet making...

DVMike

Its a lively hood and Im the only employee, except when i need help i get my retired dad to help and pay him cash. MDO is what I use, I just thought it was for cabinet making...
MDO is an excellent choice . And I'm in the south, so the Komatex may not be a good choice for you as I'm not familiar with the climate there?

dj_elite

Climate here is unpredictable for the most part! Like Mark Twain said "If you don't like the weather in New England, wait 15 minutes!"

Biker Scout

I use ACM (DiBond or other brand) for nearly everything. Don't waste your time with Coro, especially if there's an edge hanging down. They will tear out. Had a customer insist on coro for a sign mounted flat to the side of his building, in which there were 2x4's already mounted the wall. Guess what, even that tore out after the first storm. However, because they were cheap he gladly replaced it.

threeputt

Are you a professional or not? If your customer wants coro and won't listen to ten good reasons why it's a bad choice, then don't do the job!!!

Think of it this way. If you wanted wiring done in your home and told the electrician whom you were thinking of hiring "put in lightweight stranded wire throughout my home - I've heard it's very good". And he says "no, to do the job properly the wire has to be solid copper of 12 guage to carry the amperage" do you think any creditable pro would just do it your way because that's what you wanted?

Seriously. Don't do schlock work, that's what gives the rest of us a bad name.

Gordy Saunders

I didn't read anywhere in his post that he was considering coro. He said corragated. I've used corrigated V-3 before and retained it with an aluminum extrusion that is specifically made for v-3 corrigated plastic, but if you use V-3 you will have to cut plastic letters to attach to the panels.
You can attach the retainer directly to the building and install the panels into it. You don't have to build a cabinet. I think the cost will exceed $1200 though.

Ken

If it is Coroplast...

I would insisit on the 10mm sheets. Allow for expansion/contraction. In otherwords, don't fasten down tightly to the wall/wood backing. try to not have any of the vinyl span the seams. It will warp/buckle in the sun and cold.
When using coro I only use intermediate ie: cheap vinyl lettering. Explain it is probably good for 3 years (not guaranteed, maybe more depending on sun exposure.)
With the install..ballpark would be $2500 to $3000.
Good luck.
Ken

James Chrimes

It sounds like he plans on keeping the sign up for quite a while. Coroplast is bad choice for this project. Mdo will work, but will be really heavy. Allum would also work, but will be wavey at this size without a frame system around it. If he is planning on having it mounted directly to the wall I would use Dibond 3mm or pref. 6mm
Nothing says high end granite counter tops like a cheap sign. Good luck

Fitch

I'm with isign.... paint the bloody thing.

Will last forever, no install problem, no weather concerns, etc etc.

If you cant hand paint - now is a great time to learn.

$60 for paint and charge him $5000. He should see that as a bargain.