• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Huge exterior banner

Mark H

Hello,

My client want a banner/graphic to cover most of this exterior wall. It needs to be durable and last a long time. Perhaps something in a frame or using tension bars? I am looking for suggestions on how to do this. Suppliers etc.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_7736.jpg
    IMG_7736.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 258

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Size would be a nice piece of information and what do you consider a long time ??

Years ago, a sign could easily last 20 or 25 years, but today, unless you can find someone to hand-paint that with lead paint, I doubt you'll get more than 3 to 5 years.

TimToad

Most communities have sign codes which dictate just how big a sign can be as well as how long a "banner" or other temporary sign can be displayed. Additional concerns are the durability of the material the sign is being made from. In my mind the word "banner, no matter what grade or weight material is used and "permanent" sign rarely are ever used in conjunction with each other. Liability issues about public safety in the event of a material failure or aging should not be ignored.

Panaflex sign faces are made with the most banner material available and special framing and retainers are required to secure them in the illuminated cabinet.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
A tensioned solvent printed reinforced vinyl can be used, but cast colored vinyl film will last longer. A rigid substrate with a high grade exterior grade pigmented paint will last even longer (bulletin enamel or, my preference, artist's acrylic paint such a Golden or NovaColor). For best results, a mineral silicate paint (Keim) on a masonry wall (can't tell what your wall is made of from the picture) will have outstanding durability and be the best value (if by "long time" you mean decades).

If painting on the wall is an option, I would choose that over a tensioned flexible vinyl for durability (provided the finish on the surface is suitable). The advantage of tensioned printed media is much lower initial cost and the ability to change it out after 5 years or so when it fades or wears out, or when a new image is desired).

The sample was printed on fexible reinforced vinyl (Outdoor Image) and installed in a BannerGrip® frame. About every 3-4 years we change it out (on the fourth one, about ready to do a new one).

Attachments

• Wall banner.jpg
    Wall banner.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 156

netsol

Size would be a nice piece of information and what do you consider a long time ??

Years ago, a sign could easily last 20 or 25 years, but today, unless you can find someone to hand-paint that with lead paint, I doubt you'll get more than 3 to 5 years.

gino,
i just recently changed some cut vinyl window lettering that we did in 1994
one line was cut reverse and the adhesive had yellowed a bit
other than that the vinyl was still in decent shape, it dulled a little, but really surprisingly good

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, the big question would be...... was this window lettering shaded/protected from the sun and which way does the window face ?? Other than that, feel lucky the vinyl lasted so long. Also, there aren't many businesses who stay in the same place and keep the same information on a window that long, either. ))))