Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huge news blunder

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by The Vector Doctor, Jul 12, 2013.

1. The Vector Doctor

The Vector Doctor Very Active Member

Aug 15, 2005
    Ohio
    Tags:
  2. spmracing

spmracing Guest

3. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

The pilots flying the plane into the ground or the news lady actually reading those and not catching onto what she was reading? Don't get me wrong, the loss of the lives from the crash, and the loss of the life from a firetruck running her over are tragic and should not have happened. That news lady though.... :ROFLMAO: and the intern who put that into the prompter.... out of a job but going down in history for a well executed prank. I also do not believe the intent of the names was really racist (could of course be taken that way and used in other contexts would certainly be so) but moreso just tounge-in-cheek funny. Sort of like the sushi bar sign that gets posted once in a while (Fuk Mi). Google image search "fuk mi restaurant" for many examples. There are simply some words in other languages and cultures that another language speaking culture might find amusing or be shocked by. Not because it's wrong but because it's just unexpected that a word on one language might have a totally different use and meaning in another. Ones amusing themselves or being amused by this sort of thing I do not think is intended as racist is all I'm saying...

4. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
  5. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Trump 2020

Nov 20, 2008
    halfway house.
    How are those racist names?

6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Maybe I missed it, but where did they get those names from in the first place?
    The NTSB intern supposedly only confirmed them, did not give them in the first place.

And yes those are offensive racist names, especially given the circumatsnaces of their use. And the fact that the news room
    crew is so clueless as to not triple check is very telling of their ignorance. It wasn't one joke name, it was four!
    If it was the reverse and some Korean station had made the same type of error about an American flight & crew
    we'd be ready to take them out.

7. rollerman

rollerman New Member

May 5, 2013
    sad news indeed but I must admit i showed to wife before reading this post- it was funny- like the Ba Ba Booey guys on Larry King and other news programs

Reminds me of grade school- we had to read yellow river by I. P. Daily, and of course there is the menu items our local dj used to say he ordered all the time like the bowl of sum yung guys--well you get the jist and this is a mixed audience and I like being here so i am not listing all my funny menu items and books but seriously, how the heck did that get past them and to the air

The Pilots name was what- Sum Ting Wrong- seriously- who does not catch this stuff- or the other pilot i thik was listed as - We Too Low

can't make this stuff up

my heart goes out to those poor families and I feel bad about finding any humor in this knowing some poor family is having to deal with an irreplacable loss of a young life that was ended before it ever got a chance to begin, but how that got past all those people and read on a live show is beyond me- the dumbing down of Ameica at work I guess

Best

thanks for posting