• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Huge Sign

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Customer is requesting an 8' by 40' sign, vinyl on substrate, mounted to brick.

We're trying to minimize the number of panels we'd need for this, and our concerns include weight, cost, and weatherability.

Anyone have any suggestions to as what we can hang there besides 10 8x4 sheets of aluminium?

TedNes

What a great opportunity to sell a sign system.....a permanently mounted frame that can take a banner or banner mesh on a changeover basis.....

http://www.shomi.ca/frameless.html

It requires a little more upfront selling on your part, but does the customer really want the same old same old up there for 7-10 years, or do they want to be able to change things up once or twice a year? Once a sign is up a year, it becomes part of the landscape and disappears to most people....

Great opportunity for increased ongoing billing for you....

OldPaint

nobody wants to see how a "real sign painter" handles signs that size huh? PAINT makes it so much simpler and more money in your pocket, rather then spending it for all the other "hang it on the wall" construction!!!hehehehehehe 8' X 40' for a sign painter estimate would be 320 sq ft @ $10 sq ft $3200.00. + man lift or scfolding cost. i dont see anyway to print/vinyl and have it last..............for anywhere near that.

andy

Some kind of flex face system like the one Pat linked to... .it's THE ONLY way to make something like this.

10 8x4 dibond sheets or anything else rigid sheet wise nailed onto the wall is going to look nasty, nasty, nasty. Use a flexface and you can make that sucker in one piece.. no joins just one smooth, neat looking sign.

Craig Sjoquist

Si Allen and Old Paint is correct, the best image possible is with paint on a brick wall.
Vinyl on wall is limited in time it last in good shape.
Same with a mesh banner.
use of solid materials or banner requires engineer stamp, sometimes more costly then sign mounted to say it needs bolts so long and as many as ( like we can't figure that out with common sense )
A painted advertisement holds the luster of age and beauty of craftsmanship results of higher sells for your customers and enjoyment for those in the area as they pass by.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We just did a 12' x 40' sign. We hand painted it onto 8 sheets of 5' x 12' dibond in the shop and mounted it to battens which were directly mounted to a metal building with 1-1/2" screws.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree completely.Painting looks nice but its a thing of the past.The substrate must be clean and painted properly.Its not as durable and or washable and cant be changes easily when Necessary.
Are you serious or what ??

A signmaker of any sorts should be able to give their customer the best product for their money. If you can only offer certain areas due to your own incapabilities, that's on you, but one shouldn't go around dissing things they don't know anything about. :peace!:

As I mentioned earlier.... our hand-painted sign will probably last 10 or so years without any hassles. The last one lasted 14 years and still looked good. They only changed it because of a logo change.

Fitch

I could be wrong... BUT.... those who say:

" Painting looks nice but its a thing of the past.The substrate must be clean and painted properly.Its not as durable and or washable and cant be changes easily when Necessary." ...

... or similar, are those that can't actually weild a brush. If you can AND you still agree with this or similar statements... post your work.

I have found 99% of the time, those that do mainly digital printing make these (in my opinion) absurd comments.

Paint is paint and a spatter of ink is a spatter of ink. When the digital printers can put down a layer of ink similar to a brush and lasts as long.... then I will agree. Not before.

Just my opinion.

Cheers - G