• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

huge Stencil

Jacob

I need to paint 50 8 foot by 32 trailers. I was thinking about cutting a stencil out of 4x8 coro sheets. Its a simple design. has anyone done anything like this? trying to make something easy and reusable.

rjssigns

How simple is the design? Rivets/screws? I've used 1" tape for layout then a 4" foam roller to paint. Did a bunch of box trucks that way. If there are rivets or screws you should be able to use them as a grid for your layout.

In Print

Maybe a good idea?

I need to paint 50 8 foot by 32 trailers. I was thinking about cutting a stencil out of 4x8 coro sheets. Its a simple design. has anyone done anything like this? trying to make something easy and reusable.

Are the truck metal? can you stick a magnet to it? Maybe cut the stencil out of magnet so it stays in place easily without a bunch of taping?
If trucks arent magnetic than no go - but worth a shot.

Jacob

It couldn't be that easy. its aluminum with a few small rivets. The art is just the word FIREWORKS as tall and large as possible.

TXFB.INS

if it is one time use stencil, we always use whatever the cheapest vinyl is in shop.

with the easy lettering layout, tape is good idea

OldPaint

since its a s simple as that..........easiest way forward....
FIREWORKS has 2 rounded letters all are straight vertical or horizontal RECTANGLES....... do a lay out corel/sign program....that will give you the exact length of letters iam think 40 feet give ya 5 foot on each end......open....and as tall as you want i wouldnt go more the 36" tall.......but just for now lets use that.
on the layout in the sign program......pick a letter lets do the I..... GET THE WIDTH OF IT X 36", make a piece of coro/cardboard/masonite.......to that size. now you got every vertical segment of each letter.
take the O do the same thing with it and the S.......for the horizontials on the F & E, put a mark on the vertical 36" for the HORZONTIALS of the F & E......and also make a pattern for the R top........get the measurements from the computer lay out.....take those 4 5 pieces to each side, measure out where each letter will begin....strike a chalk line........on the bottom......lay up the verticals, R.......now you know the O & the S..ARE GOING TO BE LARGER ABOVE AND BELOW.......do not set them on the chalk line......it wont look right if you do.
lay up these stenciles draw a line around em.......now depending on how steady you are 3-4" roller......just stay inside the lines you drew bout an inch or so.............last thing......with a foam brush..you can cut to the lines..........with a good enamel paint like RONAN.........
50??? so you will 100 of these.......40 x 4= 160 X 2=320 sq ft. per unit paint+time no less then $7.50 sq ft $2400 a trailer.........so $24,000.00 total............hope they dont want em all done next week)))))

Brink

The size that you speak of combined with the fact that it will be vertical and has rivets will make the coroplas stencil job turn out with fuzzy edges if you spray and drips and runs if you brush or roller. Not saying that you cant do it that way. If you do go that route, be sure to press the stencil tight against the truck at each location that you are spraying as you go. Be also careful to use a work flow pattern that allows time for any drips on the back of the coro to dry before they get pressed back up to the truck.

Would it not be just as easy and look better too with cut vinyl for them? If vinyl is not an option and paint must be used... You can project the design onto the truck and trace with pencil then paint with a brush. An evenings affair or at least a dark garage bay thing for sure. You'll get much crisper edges that way and great uniformity.

signguy 55

Biggest job I ever did was a storage tank (at least it was low to the ground). Artwork was around 30' x 30'. Got the artwork printed on 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper, folded it over and found the center point. Gridded it to where 1" = 1'. Laid out the grid lines and then drew everything in with pencii, level, tape measure and yardstick. You could tell quick if you were off. Had the whole thing drawn out in about 4 hrs.

A grid is remarkably accurate.

Most old timers would use the grid pattern on something super big like a roadside bulletin board.

OldPaint

this was VINYL JOB wish i woulda painted it but with the font choice either way was a pain in the arse....and i hung it all single handed...

Attachments

• minutemantruck.jpg
    minutemantruck.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 108