Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HUGE tip for those using the Roland Color System

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Colin, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    I've been using the Roland color palette system so far, but have found out one very critical point which many will likely not know.

To use the system properly, you have printed-off the large Roland pallete (on the vinyl/media you use) as a reference - right? Well, the Roland colour value (chosen from your printed Roland Colour Library) is not really chosen (on your print-jobs) until the "Convert Spot Color" box is checked!!! (This box is found under the "Settings" section in VersaWorks, under the "File Format" tab).

Without being checked, the values represented are CMYK percentages. It is odd that Roland set it up this way. Why would one choose the Roland spot colour but then not use it? It would be more appropriate to have the box labelled "Don't Convert Colour" to leave it with the design program's CMYK colours.

Another tip: You don't have to print off a new reference color palette, as it always prints off with the "Convert Spot Color" feature as "ON". (The palette is printed off in VersaWorks under the "Edit" > "Queue A Settings" tab at the top, not from the regular settings tab that you would use for a regular print job).

So on any job where you refer to your chart for a color and apply a Roland code number to the graphic, be sure to check tha "Convert Spot Color" option as decribed above when you go to print it.

Hope this helps.

2. ucmj22

ucmj22 Very Active Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Also, If you want to print a spot color with a transparency, or gradient, convert them to the CMYK values in your design program then in the rip use the color management preset: Density control only. this will give you nearly 100% accurate color to swatch print

3. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    Edited/clarified (hit F5 to refresh)

4. TAAG

TAAG New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Also,,, how do I get this pallet to stay on?? When I close down Illustrator it goes off..

Thanks

5. Colin

Colin Major Contributor

Sep 16, 2004
    Earth
    As I don't use Illy, I can't help you there. Anybody else?

Here's the option that one must click "on" in order for the Roland Palette System to work. The default is "off".

Attached Files:

6. P Wagner

P Wagner Very Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    In the upper-right corner of the palette's window is an arrow. Click this arrow to open a flyout of options. You are looking for one called Persistent.

7. TAAG

TAAG New Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Great, thanks Castek....!!!!

8. signsolutions

signsolutions Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    ucmj22,

I'm confused here....converting to RVQ swatch to CMYK for the gradients/transparencies....doesn't that change the spot percentage to 4 colors? (how is the density percentage controlled at this point)

Or are you speaking of overall layer percentage?

-Keith