• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hyundai Sued by Louis Vuitton [Copyright Issues]

cptcorn

adad
It may not be recognizable to you or I... But to Louis Vuitton customers, it definitely is. I think the issue at hand even is the LV looking logo on the basketball.

G-Artist

Guess they don't understand "parody." Thankfully jurists do.

But, hey, LV just won a major case against eBay and they are feeling lucky.
But LV has to understand this will be tried in an American court, not some backwater EU court.

cptcorn

adad
Parody doesn't hold up in court when it comes to commercially marketing your company, unless the brand/image ins't confusing to the customer. In this instance, LV customers may be confused about the relationship between Hyundai and LV.

G-Artist

SCOTUS developed a 4-part test which it used in Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc.

I think the LV suit would fail when part 3.Amount and Substantiality of the Portion Used
of the Copyrighted Work
and part 4. Effect Upon Potential Market or Value of the
Copyrighted Work
is applied.

Just a guess. It isn't like someone was selling basketballs with those stars on them.

cptcorn

adad
SCOTUS developed a 4-part test which it used in Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc.

I think the LV suit would fail when part 3.Amount and Substantiality of the Portion Used
of the Copyrighted Work
and part 4. Effect Upon Potential Market or Value of the
Copyrighted Work
is applied.

Just a guess. It isn't like someone was selling basketballs with those stars on them.

What you're referring to I believe relates only to music samples used in remix's ect. I think as long as someone only uses no more than 30 seconds of a sample they can do what they wish with it. I haven't looked too deep into that one, since I'm no musician.

Last edited: