• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I always wondered why...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
When you hear about people getting killed by cars driving the wrong way on the highway... can't you see them coming and get out of the way?

This just happened to me on 287 to Wichita Falls... I was cruising in the slow lane and a pickup passed me going the opposite direction in the fast lane. Both of us had to of been doing 80mph. I saw it coming and my mind froze wondering what is going on!? Only after it passed me did I really register what happened and realized the danger. From a distance cars look the same going towards or away.

I hope nothing bad happened. How the fuck do you get on a highway the wrong way???

rjssigns

With some of the new roundabouts at on and off ramps with multiple access points I can see how it could happen. Lots of distracted drivers on the road.

Glad you're safe.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they're from england ?? You don't know. Cut 'em some slack. Not everyone is from this country anymore and those people have the right to do whatever makes them happy.

What you did was kinda called defensive driving, but the brain freeze is a little dangerous while doing 80mph. You need to stay alert and beware of your surroundings.

Good you're still safe. I like you.................. :clapping:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Once in my travels I inadvertently took turn onto a street and didn't realize it was one way and I was going the wrong way. There weren't any cars on the road at the time so as soon as I realized my error I was so ticked off I did a high speed 180 and no one knew a thing. Well except the wife who was asleep at the time. Sheg wasn't too happy.

Another wrong turn had me headed straight down a ramp to catch a fairy in New Orleans but it had already pulled away.

I hate traveling in unfamiliar territory especially big cities where apparently there is no speed limit at all.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Had the same thing happen in highschool while riding with a friend. Guy flew past us and as soon as I turned around he hit someone head on and killed him. The guy going the wrong way was drunk and survived.
I always tell my wife to drive in the right lane, not just cuz youre supposed to, but if someone is going the wrong way, they will usually be riding on the left as if its a 2 lane road.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Happened to me a number of years back. Sorry to say, old man likely with Alzheimers got in the car and sideswiped a number of cars in traffic. THANKFULLY everyone was moving slowly but the head-on 2 cars after mine was ugly. Nobody died...but def a couple people injured. I was personally able to avoid the head on by swerving just to my right and nearly clipped the other car in the traffic next to me. Its not easy. I would imagine people get that "deer in the headlight" and freeze instead of instantly reacting. It happens too damn often though.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I would imagine people get that "deer in the headlight" and freeze instead of instantly reacting. It happens too damn often though.

I'll tell you why you don't "instantly react". I reacted alright, but it was thoughts going though my head,

I was driving down a rural highway in flat no man's land, couple cars ahead and a few behind, everyone going the same speed...pretty calm and boring driving conditions so I wasn't really on high alert for anything. Once I saw the vehicle and figured out it was moving TOWARDS me, I was like...wait a minute, where am I? I thought this was a divided highway I've driven hundreds of times? Then I looked at the stripes on the road and said, mmmhumm those are white dashes.. then I thought, am I going the wrong way??? Check no on that box. Then after all that I concluded he was going the wrong way, and by that time he passed me.

No one else was honking their horn or swerving out of the way, so I assume I wasn't the only one with that reaction.

I guess the take away is...we're all just moments away from being pancakes.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Not too long ago I was going round a fairly large roundabout with three lanes and a car was going round the wrong way. No idea how he got there. The way the roundabout leads you into it, you’d have to have pretty much made a right turn instead of naturally following the right way with minimal turning.

was a good few seconds when I saw it coming at me I was more confused than angry. Once the confusion went away it was just angry lol

Andy D

I have heard of similar things happening to people who start to go into diabetic shock, epileptic shock, or bad reaction to new medications.

As far as your reaction, I have seen programs where neurologist explain how the information you send to your brain can be rejected because it didn't
line up with what it expected to see & there will be a rapid firing in your cortex that can cause a short circuit... Apparently, to speed things up, many things
we see are what our brain expects to see.

If you turned around in your chair, away from your computer & unexpectedly there was a huge gorilla behind you, your brain would try to cause you to freeze instead of a crazy reaction your cortex would cause, that could hurt you.

Last edited:

Andy D

I'll tell you why you don't "instantly react". I reacted alright, but it was thoughts going though my head,
Assuming you're not a professional race driver on the weekend, I think your reaction (by not reacting) was the best most can hope for,
a younger/inexperienced driver would have likely overreacted and rolled or crashed their vehicle.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Assuming you're not a professional race driver on the weekend, I think your reaction (by not reacting) was the best most can hope for,
a younger/inexperienced driver would have likely overreacted and rolled or crashed their vehicle.

Why do ya think he got a new shiny truck and all new ladders....................... ???

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I know what my reaction might have been and it would most likely involve a good detailing of the driver's seat after something like that. Max speed limit here is 45.

peerlessdani

Maybe they're from england ?? You don't know. Cut 'em some slack. Not everyone is from this country anymore and those people have the right to do whatever makes them happy.

What you did was kinda called defensive driving, but the brain freeze is a little dangerous while doing 80mph. You need to stay alert and beware of your surroundings.

Good you're still safe. I like you.................. :clapping:
Cut them some slack? They are putting innocent lives in danger! Perhaps they should learn how to drive here in the US IF they are from a different country. What if that person had killed your loved one? Would you say it's ok cause they didn't know the proper driving rules here in the US!? SMDH

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know peerless, sometimes people just say things like that, because the situation was just so dumb and idiotic. Sh!t happens and ya hafta deal with it. Afterall, I did say I'm glad he was alright. To your point, there are a heck of a lot more things to be upset about than an accident that didn't happen these days. I am now carrying all the time and I've planted guns at strategic places throughout our shop and at home.

So peerless, what's your excuse for jumping up & down so violently ?? :covereyes:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I doubt there was someone from England visiting the popular tourist destination of rural US highway 287 during coronavirus ..

peerlessdani

Ya know peerless, sometimes people just say things like that, because the situation was just so dumb and idiotic. Sh!t happens and ya hafta deal with it. Afterall, I did say I'm glad he was alright. To your point, there are a heck of a lot more things to be upset about than an accident that didn't happen these days. I am now carrying all the time and I've planted guns at strategic places throughout our shop and at home.

So peerless, what's your excuse for jumping up & down so violently ?? :covereyes:
Yah I get it was dumb and all you can do is move on. I was just saying it would have been messed up had someone died, like many have. Who's violently jumping up and down ? LOL BTW I carry as well... Big deal.