• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I Am New At This!!

MIRANDA

Hi all... we are new at this and just wanted some tips on which printer/cutter to buy??? We have looked into the "Versa Camm" and at the "PrismJet". I just wanted some input on what one is the better for our money!! I have gotten estimates from two people on the VersaCamm and was thinking about getting one for the PrismJet??? If anyone could help me that would be GREAT!!!!
Thank You:):peace!:

gvgraphics

Both are good machines. But here is something for you to think about. If you buy a machine that prints and cuts you are limiting your production. A print has to be laminated for durability. So you are printing, removing the print and then reinstalling it to be cut. Your machine is not running and costing you money. With a printer and a separate cutter you can print, remove to lam and start another print, then load it into the cutter, there fore 2 machines running at once, making you more money in the same amount of time. You will be able to manage your work load better.

Here is an example for you, you just printed a sheet of decals and laminated them, In the mean time you started printing a banner. You can't cut the decals until the banner is done. But with 2 machines you can start to cut while the banner is printing. 2 jobs at the same time.

Hope this helps.

Two different machines. One is all-inclusive printer/cutter, the other entails a separate printer and cutter.

Use the search feature for Mutoh and for Roland and you will find many threads/opinions. Remember, they are just opinions and service/support from your seller is more important than the unit itself.

Todd M Castle

Yep as far as work flow goes the 2 machine set-up out performs the one unit print/cut system. The only reason I could see getting the one machine system is only if I didn't have room for 2 machines. If you have the room go for the separate printer / cutter systems.

MIRANDA

Another Question?!?!

I have looked into getting a Roland VersaCamm and then yesterday saw that there are other options in the same market. Is the VersaCamm the better one to choose??? If so that is the printer/cutter in one. So the PrismJet is a sperate cutter and printer? Is there others in this same market that might be a better choice?? Should I buy from a local dealer or an out of state dealer> They say that they will come and help me set it up and show me how it works for a day or so. If I get it from and out of stat edealer they prolly wont do that?? Right???

Todd M Castle

Rolands will be a printer/cutter in same machine. The PrismJet is printer only. You would need to get a compatable cutter to go along with it as a 2nd piece of equipment to do the cuts. You can do some searching on here and not saying the Rolands are not good they are great but the two machine set-up does make the work-flow go faster.

If you go Roland you are required to stay local as only a local dealer can sell to you. With the PrismJet you can go anywhere you like.

Good luck.

high impact

It depends on the amount and type of production you do concerning the print/cut in one machine vs the standalone print and cut. We have a versacamm AND a FC7000 pro series Graphtec with the optical registration.

I like being able to resend the cut file to the versacamm after laminating much better than messing around with loading into the Graphtec and finding the registration marks. The versacamm seems less cumbersome to me, my wife and employee.

Good luck!

Checkers

Welcome Miranda,
This has been discussed many times before, use the search feature to find a lot more info.
Another thing that's been discussed in detail is the printer is only a small part of the complete package. You may need a lot more equipment in order to produce a finished product in a cost effective manner.

Checkers

MIRANDA

THANK YOU for all your advice!! I think that I am going to stick with the Roland Versa Camm. I think that they are giving me the best deal as far as what I am going to do with it! I don't have much space and just wanted something easy and cost effective! One last question... If I were to print a 4 foot long banner that is 54" wide, How long would it take???

Todd M Castle

Don't know the answer to how long but want to say both machines are great and if you go with the Versacamm you will be very happy. Can't go wrong either way really. You can always do like the poster above and if demand hits and you see your cut vinyl time cutting into your print time you can always just add a cutter down the road. Good news will be if you are having this problem the $$$$'s you have rolling in can pay for the cutter with no problem at all.

ignoredthoughts

Hate to break this to you but you cannot print all the way to the edges on a 54" printer(the rollers take up about an inch a peice), there will be about an inch border on top and bottom. Try and keep your prints to 52" and you won't ever have a problem minus a cut or two when you have to trim them. Otherwise if it's a white background you don't have to really worry about it and just keep that border in your design. That print job, depending on if it's full digital print edge-to-edge could take anywhere from 5 minutes to 20 (off top of head) but that seriously depends on WHAT your printing.

MIRANDA

Once again... Thank you for all your guys help. I just needed a few other opinions on what to do!! Hope all works out and I am sure when I get it I will have more ?'s to ask!!! Until then take care and I will talk to ya soon:)

Jackpine

Welcome to the group. Service from the dealer is as important or more as the cost of the printer. If you have a dealer with good service techs it will save you major problems. There can't be enough said about how you are treated after the sale.

Matt Cuellar

Miranda,

Personally I like the idea of 2 machines instead of an "all-in-one" because both can be working at the same time if necessary. I think it's more production-oriented, but hey, what do I know.

Also, depending on your budget, you could look into the ValueJet w/Graphtec Cutter for not much more than a VersaCamm, unless the VC has come down in price, I'm not sure about that either. I think the quality on the VJ is much better than the Roland, the software is much more robust (depending on what dealer you work with), and overall, it's a cheaper printer to operate.

I think whatever you decide on, make sure you have a dealer that understands color management and the importance of profiles. If they can't create custom profiles, make sure they can provide you with something other than manufacturer profiles. This industry has evolved so much that accurate color management is the key to reducing waste, reprints, your time, and most importantly, HEADACHES!

Matt