Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am seeing Spots...

Discussion in 'Roland' started by Prism1, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Prism1

Prism1 Member

Apr 3, 2006
    sacramento, CA
    when I print on 3 mil material. Prints ( for the most part ) on 2 mil look good, some banding here & there, not perfect, but good. When I print on 3 mil, I get "Blotchy" looking results ( kinda looks like leopard skin ). I have played with the heat settings...lower seems to help, but still there. Does not matter where in the roll I print. I am using 2 mil on "Everything" as a crutch...bummer for the bottom line.

540v
    Triangle
    Arlon "Digital" materials
    Newest Wasatch

PS...Unfortunately the only profiles I have are for the MetaMark or 3M material, 2 or 3 mil, but works ok on 2 mil.

Tags:
  2. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

I think this may be a moisture absorbing issue. Some medias absorb moisture and will be noticeable in your printing and give the "Leopard" type look after printing.

I saw the same thing happen to me when I got a roll of Orajet 3651 from Sign Warehouse (Back East) "Leopard spots" but when I got the same media local from Product Sign Supply or Denco there were no spots.

Hope that helps.

3. WB

WB Active Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Canada
    I have a similar problem when printing on cheaper vinyl, seems like the vinyl doesn't absorb the ink as well as the higher end vinyls.