• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I am so sick of customers

TheSnowman

Churches, housekeepers, auto detailers and landscapers are the most notorious time bandits.
I've had amazing good luck with churches, housekeepers, and landscapers. My worst one is stupid Seal Coat driveway guys. They think that I should drop what I'm doing to go print their project so they can sit there and wait on it...EVERY TIME. Then when I won't, it takes them a year to pick it up, and they don't want to pay. Played that game once...never playing again.

Extreme Graffix

We have good luck with landscapers and construction companys.Churches on the the other hand is a deal in itself.In our small town here there are 10 churches. everytime they want something getting them them to pay is hard. when that time comes it's how about you just come to church and you'll get paid back that way. If you was member you would be doing it to help out.There isnt enough sundays in a month to get my pay from all of them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've had amazing good luck with churches, housekeepers, and landscapers. My worst one is stupid Seal Coat driveway guys. They think that I should drop what I'm doing to go print their project so they can sit there and wait on it...EVERY TIME. Then when I won't, it takes them a year to pick it up, and they don't want to pay. Played that game once...never playing again.

That reminds me of one from I think last summer. Guy stops in and says he'd like to give me a price on re-doing my parking lot. I said... knock yourself out.... how much ?? He looked around the showroom, his eyes went back in his head and then he blurted out $6,800. I said for both parking lots or just the one ?? Uhmmm..... just the one, but I need my truck lettered so I'll do it for... knock off $1,000..... and ya got yourself a deal.

My reply was.... you can knock off $1,000 just like that.... and you have no idea of what my cost is gonna be ??

Do both parking lots for $1,600 and I'll letter both of your trucks and I'll even wash them for ya.

He looked at me, squinted a bit and said.... I can't do it that cheap. I told him that was my final offer... take it or leave it. He left thinking he almost made a sale and somehow he became the victim. :ROFLMAO:

GypsyGraphics

Asking a potential client about their budget is a good way to begin the conversation. It's not always an easy thing to do. Some people see it as a direct attack!

I never use to ask clients what their budget was... since my prices were what they were no matter their budget. But on a recent job, after several sign designs and quotes, I finally asked because I was spinning my wheels on this one. The budget was $5000 and because there was wiggle room in the bid I rebid it at $5000, but I felt awkward about it.

My concern, or question is, does it come off as just backing into someone budget when ask what they are willing to pay... and low and behold... that's what it costs? I mean even if it's totally legit and makes sense to work within their budget when designing and planning for fabrication. I'm wondering, from those of you who bid this way... how do you feel it's perceived by the client?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is a tactic some can use and others are afraid to try.

In my opinion.... you still have to bid YOUR price and not back your numbers into theirs. That's what appears very questionable to most.

However, like you said Gypsy.... you'd like to know their range, so you don't design a $20,000 sign when they have the budget for $2,500. You don't want to spin your wheels unnecessarily.

Over the years, you can spot the people that don't have a clue and then there are others that are very willing to work with you if you strike up the right approach.... that's the tough one.... who can you really do business with today ??

I've already said to customers.... well, I was a little higher than that, but we'll see what we can do for you. Then on the other hand.... had people that were higher than I expected and I might've bumped my price up a little, but no where near what they said. It all works out in the wash if you're fair and honest.

Last edited: