• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I am stumped with this job

klingsdesigns

I have a customer that has a greenhouse. They turned or are turning it into a wedding venue. The problem they are having is sun is baking on the place they want to either put some sort of vinyl or tint to keep sun out. Would like white showing doesn't matter what faces the sun. Mounted inside probably. Only the roof part not sides. Its going on clear thick looking coroplast material. I even suggested maybe putting on a metal roof. They do use it beginning of summer and end for flowers still though.

Attachments

• IMG_7234.JPG
    IMG_7234.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 387
  • IMG_7237.JPG
    IMG_7237.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 347
  • IMG_7238.JPG
    IMG_7238.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 348

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Your idea might stop a little bit of sun heat from penetrating, but if you don't fill it full of air conditioners, no amount of vinyl or tinting will make it suitable for people all dressed up in tuxes and other hefty garb is gonna help. It's like an oven and the only thing that will prevent heat buildup, is to stop the sun from hitting that roof altogether. Build another roof and leave a buffer layer in-between.

Andy D

If it needs to be removable I would use banner material on top of the roof.
It would be easy enough to throw a monkey fist over the roofline & pull it into place.

Hard to tell how wide the roof is but it looks like two 15' - 20' wide banners
laced together in the middle and screwed around the outside would work.
You could even have a nice design printed on the bottom side.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

On our greenhouse, when certain conditions are met, the roof expands and opens up to release the pressure/heat build up inside. Can't really have anything that would prevent that from happening. This greenhouse may not have it, but that's something that I would also look at to make sure. We use a black netting stretched over the top. Allows the roof to expand when needed.

I personally wouldn't use a greenhouse for a formal venue like a wedding, but to each their own. Even with that netting, it's still hotter then blue blazes out there.

If they still use it as a greenhouse, have to try to do something that is temporary or at least movable as that would negate the benefits of a greenhouse by having a second roof etc.

equippaint

If the goal is to stop the heat, nothing besides insulation or an exterior roof as suggested will work. Even that may not work. The heat will transfer to the textile, banner or whatever else you hang up there

bannertime

That clear material is most definitely corrugated polycarbonate 10mm panels. You could go in and fit some 6-10mm white coro. The clear corrugated poly is pretty strong so you could probably fasten directly to it. If you needed it to be extra removable you could get some 10 or 12 ounce tent canvas and make a piece big enough to slide over the top of the roof. Either way nothing a typically sign shop would be doing.

Billct2

Commercial greenhouse handle this problem like Andy said Wildwest said, with fabric covering on the outside. Anything on the inside won't keep the heat out unless they make a permanent change to the panels and they don't want to do that.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
My old boss would take all kinds of weird requests because he couldn't turn down "an opportunity" and we should think outside the box to make it work... Those jobs usually didn't make much money, they took up WAY too much time, pushing other jobs late...and we usually were not satisfied with the end product. I'm glad I'm on my own and can say NO to things outside my realm. I like learning new things, but somethings were just not meant to be.

Andy D

My old boss would take all kinds of weird requests because he couldn't turn down "an opportunity" and we should think outside the box to make it work... Those jobs usually didn't make much money, they took up WAY too much time, pushing other jobs late...and we usually were not satisfied with the end product. I'm glad I'm on my own and can say NO to things outside my realm. I like learning new things, but somethings were just not meant to be.

I couldn't agree with you more, you can't be all things to all people all the time.
Maybe if you're dead slow and need to make rent...
IMHO, most shops try and offer too many services, the more you can specialize, the better the product, the happier the customer, the more profitable the shop.

Andy D

Whatever solution make sure it meets all fire regulations. Many banner media’s don’t. Also vinyls have varying fire resistance. Could be an expensive mistake to make..,

That brings up a good question... Having a large event in that type of structure doesn't seem like it would meet codes...
Not that I would turn down the job, it wouldn't be my problem, just wondering.

Evan Gillette

I agree with the others and suggest a hard pass on this one.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to turn a greenhouse into a wedding venue "as is" and then hire someone to make the structure do the exact opposite of its design and purpose isn't a logical person. They are also likely not going to be happy with the mediocre at best results, and will likely try to make it your problem. As also mentioned, I highly doubt that the structure is within code for hosting any kind of events, even after heavy modifications.

As intriguing as the opportunity is, I don't think I would touch it with a 10' pole, even if the proprietors "seem" to have deep pockets...

Edit: As Jburton mentioned, greenhouse manufacturers make "shade cloths" to reduce interior temperatures in very hot weather, but keep in mind this is to prevent interior temps from reaching into the mid 100s. They will have little effect for the "comfortable" temperatures your client is looking for. Airflow and swamp cooler style AC units would be their only real options in my opinion.