• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I am way out in left field on this one...

mudmedia

Okay so I got a call from a customer today asking how much to wrap a hydroplane race boat...Unfortunately He didnt give me a huge amount of information but I told him I would like to see a photo then schedule an appointment to take measurements...I have never done a hydroplane has anyone ever done one?

-I would assume that since hydroplanes sit so low in the water that I would just wrap the horizontal surface?

-I have no clue as I have never seen a hydroplane in person but I would imagine they are probably 20-25 ft long and they look pretty wide...I am sure I am going to have to seam quiet a bit with all the fins and what not anyone got a clue of a estimate square footage if they have done one before I know every boat is different by the looks of it. I am just trying to figure out what a ballpark figure is...These things look pretty cool and the boat is brand new so I am sure a paint job would be pretty price.

I attached a photo of the best look a like photo I could find...Any experience with these boats would be appreciated!

Attachments

• 915_miss_bud.gif
    915_miss_bud.gif
    64.8 KB · Views: 120

SebastienL

I don't have a clue about pricing. But I would be concerned about water spray stripping any vinyl off the boat.:help

rjssigns

Hydroplanes are absolute effin' monsters. They are carried on a custom semitrailer at an angle because of their size. About 30' long and 15' wide.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not really sure for your problem, but your example looks as if they used too much rapid tac on that one............... :ROFLMAO:

mudmedia

Gino no problem was just searchgin for any information on wrapping one...And a estimated cost before I go out and measure this thing up...These things are nuts the example was just the closest I could find that the body style looks similar to the one my client is wanting done...

wow 30 x 15 ft I didnt think they were that big..Thanks for the info....

And I am not sure until I look at it about the water spray...I am thinking just wrapping the horizontal surface as the whole darn thing sits so low in the water lol

rjssigns

Not much to worry about when they are on plane. An area about the size of a handkerchief is all that will touch the water at speed. about a hundred or so square inches give or take. Not sure if that helps but...

Another factoid: at speed there is only one blade of the prop in the water at a time.

I saw and sat in the original Miss Budweiser when I was around 7 years old. It was parked across from my parents house for several days. Think it had an affect on me?

crwky

I thought hydroplanes came in a lot of differenet sizes

Yes they do. The photo and the sizes being mentioned are the big boys. Some of these can be 6-7 foot wide and only 14' long. So who knows what this one is going to be. My guess is it will be under 8.5' wide and around 25' long.

dolce05

I know this isnt the same type boat but to give you something to go by, we charged in the likes 0f 15-18 per sq ft and a seperate design fee. The hardest thing was templating the boat with all the extreme curves and bends. This install had to be top notch and everything lined up pixel to pixel (not many seams except on rear hatch.

Good Luck.

Chris

Attachments

• batman01.jpg
    batman01.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 74
  • batman02.jpg
    batman02.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 90
  • before.jpg
    before.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 102

mudmedia

I know this isnt the same type boat but to give you something to go by, we charged in the likes 0f 15-18 per sq ft and a seperate design fee. The hardest thing was templating the boat with all the extreme curves and bends. This install had to be top notch and everything lined up pixel to pixel (not many seams except on rear hatch.

Good Luck.

Chris

Wow very nice job...That looks like a tough one...Hopefully I do get the job as I think it would be fun / good to add in the portfolio and say I did it...But then again I am probably going to be kicking myself in the foot when installing it lol...I bet templating things like these curvy boats to make everything line up is time consuming.

ProWraps

well. this one showed up at my shop today. yeah, its a hydroplane.

Attachments

• h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 103

dolce05

install nightmare. Its all in the templating and i would suggest print as you go dont be too far ahead of yourself. Things will change. My suggestion is wrap the background creative just like you would with anything else and put all logos and copy as a seperate layer

ProWraps

install nightmare. Its all in the templating and i would suggest print as you go dont be too far ahead of yourself. Things will change. My suggestion is wrap the background creative just like you would with anything else and put all logos and copy as a seperate layer

hells yeah!

mudmedia

That thing is crazy looking...the one that was brought down to my shop doesnt have 2 seperate wing pieces...That one looks a lot bigger and more of a pain but they are super cool boats - do you even call them that?

HulkSmash

Okay so I got a call from a customer today asking how much to wrap a hydroplane race boat...Unfortunately He didnt give me a huge amount of information but I told him I would like to see a photo then schedule an appointment to take measurements...I have never done a hydroplane has anyone ever done one?

-I would assume that since hydroplanes sit so low in the water that I would just wrap the horizontal surface?

-I have no clue as I have never seen a hydroplane in person but I would imagine they are probably 20-25 ft long and they look pretty wide...I am sure I am going to have to seam quiet a bit with all the fins and what not anyone got a clue of a estimate square footage if they have done one before I know every boat is different by the looks of it. I am just trying to figure out what a ballpark figure is...These things look pretty cool and the boat is brand new so I am sure a paint job would be pretty price.

I attached a photo of the best look a like photo I could find...Any experience with these boats would be appreciated!

Aren't you both in Sacramento?
Well now... this is beyond awkward.