Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am way out in left field on this one...

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by mudmedia, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Okay so I got a call from a customer today asking how much to wrap a hydroplane race boat...Unfortunately He didnt give me a huge amount of information but I told him I would like to see a photo then schedule an appointment to take measurements...I have never done a hydroplane has anyone ever done one?

-I would assume that since hydroplanes sit so low in the water that I would just wrap the horizontal surface?

-I have no clue as I have never seen a hydroplane in person but I would imagine they are probably 20-25 ft long and they look pretty wide...I am sure I am going to have to seam quiet a bit with all the fins and what not anyone got a clue of a estimate square footage if they have done one before I know every boat is different by the looks of it. I am just trying to figure out what a ballpark figure is...These things look pretty cool and the boat is brand new so I am sure a paint job would be pretty price.

I attached a photo of the best look a like photo I could find...Any experience with these boats would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. SebastienL

SebastienL Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I don't have a clue about pricing. But I would be concerned about water spray stripping any vinyl off the boat.:help

3. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Hydroplanes are absolute effin' monsters. They are carried on a custom semitrailer at an angle because of their size. About 30' long and 15' wide.

4. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I'm not really sure for your problem, but your example looks as if they used too much rapid tac on that one............... :ROFLMAO:

5. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Gino no problem was just searchgin for any information on wrapping one...And a estimated cost before I go out and measure this thing up...These things are nuts the example was just the closest I could find that the body style looks similar to the one my client is wanting done...

wow 30 x 15 ft I didnt think they were that big..Thanks for the info....

And I am not sure until I look at it about the water spray...I am thinking just wrapping the horizontal surface as the whole darn thing sits so low in the water lol

6. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Not much to worry about when they are on plane. An area about the size of a handkerchief is all that will touch the water at speed. about a hundred or so square inches give or take. Not sure if that helps but...

Another factoid: at speed there is only one blade of the prop in the water at a time.

I saw and sat in the original Miss Budweiser when I was around 7 years old. It was parked across from my parents house for several days. Think it had an affect on me?

7. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    I used to go to the Hyrdo races every year when I was a kid. There a LOT bigger in person than they look.

8. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I thought hydroplanes came in a lot of differenet sizes

9. Craig Sjoquist

Craig Sjoquist Major Contributor

Jun 18, 2004
    Orlando
    Please show us pictures when done, and what size or stuff. be curious here.

10. crwky

crwky New Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Yes they do. The photo and the sizes being mentioned are the big boys. Some of these can be 6-7 foot wide and only 14' long. So who knows what this one is going to be. My guess is it will be under 8.5' wide and around 25' long.

11. dolce05

dolce05 Member

Jan 18, 2008
    I know this isnt the same type boat but to give you something to go by, we charged in the likes 0f 15-18 per sq ft and a seperate design fee. The hardest thing was templating the boat with all the extreme curves and bends. This install had to be top notch and everything lined up pixel to pixel (not many seams except on rear hatch.

Good Luck.

Chris

Attached Files:

12. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Wow very nice job...That looks like a tough one...Hopefully I do get the job as I think it would be fun / good to add in the portfolio and say I did it...But then again I am probably going to be kicking myself in the foot when installing it lol...I bet templating things like these curvy boats to make everything line up is time consuming.

13. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    well. this one showed up at my shop today. yeah, its a hydroplane.

Attached Files:

• h1.jpg
      h1.jpg
      File size:
      329.3 KB
      Views:
  14. Scott Reynolds

Scott Reynolds Active Member

Feb 5, 2005
    What a coincidence.

15. dolce05

dolce05 Member

Jan 18, 2008
    install nightmare. Its all in the templating and i would suggest print as you go dont be too far ahead of yourself. Things will change. My suggestion is wrap the background creative just like you would with anything else and put all logos and copy as a seperate layer

16. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    hells yeah!

17. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    That thing is crazy looking...the one that was brought down to my shop doesnt have 2 seperate wing pieces...That one looks a lot bigger and more of a pain but they are super cool boats - do you even call them that?

18. Coloradosigns

Coloradosigns Major Contributor

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver.

Aren't you both in Sacramento?
    Well now... this is beyond awkward.

19. mudmedia

mudmedia Active Member

Aug 15, 2008
    It is the same boat just found out ... Happens a lot around here lol