• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I Broke my VJ1204

Conor Knoxx

to start at the start.... this an 8 year old ValueJet 1204.
- the second black set of nozzles were not printing the bottom third of the lines on "nozzle check"
- after looking things over, I decided my capping station (I think that's what its called...) was quite dirty, and maybe not making a good seal when cleaning (seemed like the best place to start anyway)
- using Lyson LWS2000 cleaning solution, I was trying to do a very thorough job of cleaning it (what a gummy sticky mess! )
- during this time, the pad that has the rubber seal around it (the suction thing...) "popped out" on the left hand side.
- this was an accident, however I could see one of the 3 tubes underneath, just hanging loose (may have happened when it popped up, maybe it was off for years... I have no idea)
- this is the tube that runs back up to a small block that has 2 small holes in it, and a spring loaded plate covers it when the head is parked. I can't see where this tube reconnects, nor do I understand its function
- now, when I try to do a cleaning or print, carriage moves about 10 inches, and I get a "E074 CR2 Current" error. Consistently, every time.

Obviously its something I've done, since it has happened right after I've poked around in there like a gorilla ...
And of course it still doesn't address my original problem of the dropped black nozzles
Any one point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
Conor

signprinter

Vj 1204

Try looking for online a repair manual or search on this site for 1204 repair manual. I used to have one but cannot locate it...also try search for "replacing Capping Station on VJ 1204" there should be something online. I know I found something years ago when I did mine. I have a different VJ now and the cap station is different and I cannot really remember on the 1204 how to do it. But I do remember they are not hard to replace (takes some time and patience) so I would suggest just buying a new one since you are not getting good nozzle checks that is the first (and cheapest) place to start. I just had to replace head, capping station,wipers, etc in my 1604 and it was over $4000
But replacing it is the most logical start.

Sorry I cannot be more help

utmtech

to start at the start.... this an 8 year old ValueJet 1204.
- the second black set of nozzles were not printing the bottom third of the lines on "nozzle check"
- after looking things over, I decided my capping station (I think that's what its called...) was quite dirty, and maybe not making a good seal when cleaning (seemed like the best place to start anyway)
- using Lyson LWS2000 cleaning solution, I was trying to do a very thorough job of cleaning it (what a gummy sticky mess! )
- during this time, the pad that has the rubber seal around it (the suction thing...) "popped out" on the left hand side.
- this was an accident, however I could see one of the 3 tubes underneath, just hanging loose (may have happened when it popped up, maybe it was off for years... I have no idea)
- this is the tube that runs back up to a small block that has 2 small holes in it, and a spring loaded plate covers it when the head is parked. I can't see where this tube reconnects, nor do I understand its function
- now, when I try to do a cleaning or print, carriage moves about 10 inches, and I get a "E074 CR2 Current" error. Consistently, every time.

Obviously its something I've done, since it has happened right after I've poked around in there like a gorilla ...
And of course it still doesn't address my original problem of the dropped black nozzles
Any one point me in the right direction?
Thanks!
Conor

Remove far right side cover by removing 4 fine thread metal screws, 2 course thread plastic screw, and 1 orange handle.

Remove two screws from the end of the capping station.

Disconnect all hoses from the bottom of the capping assembly (3 total)

Remove capping station.

Observe T shaped wedge on cap, observe T shaped groove on capping assembly. Look for damage to either as either will cause the cap to come loose during cleaning.

Next, Assure the vacuum line is reconnected to the spring-loaded safety on the side. In the picture here: http://www.signs101.com/forums/show...anding-bad-nozzle-check&p=1213504#post1213504 you can see the line that is cut and plugged would be the one you need to run over to the safety.

In that post I made you can also see a replacement cap though you will need to compare it to the original and cut off the plastic hook that manufacturer decided to add to the end of it....

If there is damage to the current one, or to the assembly, it would be advisable to park your printhead on a pad saturated with head cleaning solution to the left of the spitpad until those parts come in and can be replaced. Also tape off the two pump lines if you leave them disconnected so they don't dry out.

If everything is well you can reassemble everything and cross your toes.

Conor Knoxx

so here's my cap, you can (kinda) see the pin sticking out on the right side (bottom) but not on the left.
I'm assuming there should be one there too, its broke off?
If anyone is familiar with these?
However... that tube that comes off the upper block (not the ones under the cap) - for the life of me I can't see where that connects to!

And lastly... for all the trouble with my capping station, would this really cause the carriage to come out 10 inches and then error up, every time? Hard to see where the 2 could be related...
Thanks,
Conor

Attachments

• cap1204.jpg
    cap1204.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 122

utmtech

so here's my cap, you can (kinda) see the pin sticking out on the right side (bottom) but not on the left.
I'm assuming there should be one there too, its broke off?
If anyone is familiar with these?
However... that tube that comes off the upper block (not the ones under the cap) - for the life of me I can't see where that connects to!

And lastly... for all the trouble with my capping station, would this really cause the carriage to come out 10 inches and then error up, every time? Hard to see where the 2 could be related...
Thanks,
Conor

Dear lord, you haven't done any P.M. on this, ever have you?

You need to clean this mess off before you do anything, I can't even tell what I am looking at... It looks like you removed the inside track from the capping station which has the safety on the side. That isn't supposed to be removed, the ENTIRE black assembly comes out as a single piece.

Since you are this far in... Remove the two screws holding the lower half of the assembly (It is black plastic) in place and rejoin this pictured piece you posted back into it. The actual cap has a seal, is on a large 1" diameter spring with the 3 hose attachments underneath. It releases by depressing it and pushing gently away from the "T" shaped wedge.

The wedge is on the far right of this picture.

http://lavaink.com/Eco-Solvent-Inks/ImagesParts/Cap-Top-VulueJet-1204.jpg

Below is similar to your station though it is the aqueous version...

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server3...ap_Slider__05741.1410042713.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Notice how the "T" wedge on the cap interfaces with the part you removed? Just depress and remove the cap and verify the wedge or slot it goes into are not damaged. My issue was that my wiper blade was striking the new cap I had bought because it had a piece of plastic protruding the old one didn't. It caused the wedge to break out of the slot.

Here is the entire assembly in case you damaged that sled (the insert for the capping station)

Pictured there in the upper left you can see the two silver screws that allow you to remove both black plastic pieces.

Conor Knoxx

well, working on these things is interesting, to say the least!
I am making some headway here though....
first, the reason it would return a CR error after the head moved 10 inches, was that while cleaning in there, I smudged ink on that clear mylar strip (still not sure I understand that part!) - cleaned it, all good there..
While I did keep the top of the capping station clean, I never realized the mess that was building up underneath, so disassembled that, cleaned up, and reassembled.
Overall, its actually working pretty good again!
(this site is such and incredible resource! thanks to all who post here!)
Another problem/mistake I ran into while doing this, was I soaked paper towel in cleaner, set it under the head to keep it from drying out, while the capping station was apart.... wicked out ink (which I expected) but the yellow sucked it up for some reason, making a nice mess in there to flush back out!

Current problem:
I still need to get this part (pic)
I'm not sure what to order - when I talk to my supplier (ink4U) they are quoting me $650 for a "maintenance station" - but I think that is more than I need, since my pump, lower assembly etc is fine? Is this just called the maintenance cap?

Attachments

• RJ_900_Cap_Slider__05741.1410042713.1280.1280.jpg
    RJ_900_Cap_Slider__05741.1410042713.1280.1280.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 109

Stealth Ryder

Vj-1204

Buy yourself a New Maintenance Assembly DF-49686 and a new wiper DF-49687.... You may even need a new Head Assembly DF-49684... These items may be purchased from any Mutoh dealer.

Robert M

That part

That picture of that cap top is for a RJ-900,(aqueous) will not work in a 1204. I have a rebuild kit but looking at your picture I would agree you are best getting the whole station
In stock and we can ship it today, at www.solventinkjet.com