• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I can't get the right red

PolarBear

Hi,
I am having trouble getting my Mutoh printer to print a good deep red. I have a cmyk color of 0,99,100,0. The customer has a sample of this supposedly printed on the same vinyl I am using (oracal 3651) and it is a beautiful deep red. When I print to that same color code on my printer, it is a dull, orangish color.
We tried taking a picture of the sample and printing that picture and it comes out the same as the print swatch from the cmyk code.
I am relatively new to using this and having to setup for colors, so I am a bit lost on what to check and what to setup to fix this. So, here's the information I found that seems like it applies.
I have done a good cleaning on the printer.
I am using Flexisign set in cmyk variable dot color mode,Graphics 2 print mode, no color correction set.
This is a mutoh valujet 54 inch printer.

Can anyone direct me to what I need to do to get that good vibrant red? Also, can you give me any ideas on where I can do some reading on what the settings are and how to get good color setups so I can avoid these problems in the future?

Thanks in advance,
Lori

HaroldDesign

Your red may actually more true, but with less ink saturation. That color break is not a deep red. It borders on having an orange hue. What does a gray-scale look like from each printer? My guess is his has a magenta cast, and yours is either true or slightly cyan.

PolarBear

Ok, that has given me some stuff to try.
I thought I had that profile installed, but I downloaded, installed, and reprinted just to make sure. It didn't change the color.
I don't have access to grayscale info from the previous printing, but mine might have a slight cyan cast. What can I do to change the saturation since you mention that might be the problem?
I will try the fire red to get a good red, but the customer was specific that this is their "signature" color and that we need to be able to do a perfect match to meet their branding needs.
Any ideas what to try next?
Lori

tsgstl

print out a pms chart with the same profile.
then pick the one that fits your fancy.
change your red to the new one

PolarBear

I have printed the color chart as my first step and I don't have any good clean red that is anywhere close to his to choose from.
Lori

Kev41

Hi may be wrong but you say

"I am using Flexisign set in cmyk variable dot color mode,Graphics 2 print mode, no color correction set"

if that statement is correct then your profiles are doing nothing, switch colour correction on and try again.

Hope i am right & this helps

Kev

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hi may be wrong but you say

"I am using Flexisign set in cmyk variable dot color mode,Graphics 2 print mode, no color correction set"

if that statement is correct then your profiles are doing nothing, switch colour correction on and try again.

Hope i am right & this helps

Kev

Doubtful. The OP probably meant 'color mapping' not 'color correction'.

The best color, not necessarily the best match to something, but the best color, is usually obtained with no color correction. That's why, generally, one should set their rendering intents to 'No Color Correction' for everything except bitmaps. Set bitmaps to 'Perceptual'.

PolarBear

Bob,
you are correct and I mistyped that. I have bitmap set to perceptual and the rest are on no color correction.
Lori

mark galoob

The problem you are having is that you are trying to color match with a digital printer. You might spend hundreds of hours trying to match this color and never get it right. Whenever a customer wants me to color match I tell them my hourly rate and and they never accept. I have never been successful color matching. We have a color chart and I let cust choose there color and move on

Mark galoob