• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I did it...switched from Roland EcoMax2 ink to Solaris

Sticks

I have been toying with the idea for the last year or so. Watching the Roland aftermarket ink options for my Roland XR640. After reading many forums and speaking with some digital techs I trust, I ordered the Liquicolor Solaris inks.

Some said the UV resistance lacked a bit. Some said it was a bit thinner. One on this forum said it blew a head. I would imagine if it was the ink there would be many more complaining. 500 ml cartridges for $79. Almost half the price of Roland OEM.

Last edited:

Gene@mpls

I have happily and successfully used Triangle Inx on three printers over 15 years. A liter is about $130. I cannot remember a problem that I could blame on the ink. My opinion for what it is worth. Gene

madone

I have been toying with the idea for the last year or so. Watching the Roland aftermarket ink options for my Roland XR640. After reading many forums and speaking with some digital techs I trust, I ordered the Liquicolor Solaris inks.

Some said the UV resistance lacked a bit. Some said it was a bit thinner. One on this forum said it blew a head. I would imagine if it was the ink there would be many more complaining. 500 ml cartridges for $79. Almost half the price of Roland OEM.
I ruined 2 print heads with aftermarket inks on my SP540, the cost savings is not worth replacing 1000.00 heads!

crny1

Can I ask a dumb question? How does the aftermarket ink ruin a head? Does aftermarket ink dry up in the lines easier and plug the heads or something? The ink doesnt actually do anything to the head physically does it? Not trying to be a smart ass or anything. Just curious.

Active Sign

Sign Guy
It depends on the volume of printing you are doing. If you are running your machine most of the Day aftermarket ink is worth it and will save you big $$$$ every year. If you don’t print consistently everyday it might be best to stick with oem.

I’ve been running Bordeaux since 2013 without any problems. Switched to STS last year (Made in USA!). So far so good.

Keep all covers in place and keep it clean. Use matching flush/cleaning fluid. Cap tops last half as long. Dump a good amount of cleaning fluid through cap tops when cleaning every week. Check dampers regularly. Have spare (consumable) parts on hand.

You are now venturing into learning a lot about how your machine works and doing some of your own tech work.

In my own experience: Aftermarket inks tend to have overspray problems. They don’t always match oem consistency or viscosity. if enough overspray gets on circuit boards/electronics they fail. This why the heads might go bad. That’s why it is so important to keep all the covers in place.

Also, heads don’t last forever.

Learn how to get enough work in to keep that thing running and you won’t care about replacement parts and maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

premiercolour

Merchant Member
If you guys think STS or Solaris is good enough ink, give Jetbest a try.

One time purchase refillable cartridge $25 each.
Each 500 lm ink bottle $35 each.

What's the savings?
Cost of four 500ml is $140 = 1 Roland Eco Sol Max 440 cartridge $130-140.

500ml proprietary ink system from Jetbest

www.premiercolour.com

Last edited:

ams

You lost any warranty you had on Roland. If anything goes wrong, they will simply tell you, your screwed because you voided the warranty.