• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I got hit with a trojan horse...naaaaaaaa

gabagoo

I have no idea where it came from, but my laptop has been infected with a trojan horse. I knew something happened 2 nights ago when I was just sitting in Facebook, not even doing anything. The screen went wonky and the computer started to act weird. First thing I notice is that AVG has turned off. I immediately get out of everything and turn it back on. then get a few pop ups if I remember correctly. I then went online with Skype and met up with a buddy for our rd of online golf via Tiger Woods 08. My game was choppy and hesitating and Skype was locking on conversation and repeating itself. I attributed this to the fact that I had asked my cable company to change my service from high speed internet down to the lite service as so many people were telling me that it ran almost as fast. It was like dial up if you asked me.
Next day at the office the laptop still seems slow so I run avg and it finds 2 trojan horses. When it finished it said it had put them in the virus vault and I was content to think the problem was gone. I then ran AVG again and this time it found 2 different viruses. I looked them up on google but found very little. Avg put them into the virus vault. Ran avg again and this time it said everything was fine. I have also been getting pop ups telling me that avg needs to be reloaded even while it is running which makes no sense.

Now about a year ago I downloaded the AVG spyware software which was a trial for 30 days, after the 30 days it stopped working and honestly I have not felt the need to purchase it, This morning it shows up on my task bar and it is running again!!! I am actually using it to perform a sweep to see what it finds but something tells me it may be the virus itself fooling me. Who knows what evil is lurking out there.

I know I can go back a week or so and see if it works better, but I am not sure how that works exactly. What will I lose and will the trojan hose really be gone?

high impact

I bet your system restore will not function - most viruses will disable that feature. You obviously have a virus and need someone to go into the registry to clean the critter out. Just running virus sweeper will probably not be enough.

Good luck

SoIllsignman

This may help......

I have had a problem kinda like this before. I suggest downloading

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

It is free and I am not sure where I got it....maybe download.com,Google it!

You may want to see if there is a newer version of AVG out there. AVG has been great for me.

I hope this helps.

gabagoo

I appreciate the advice. System is completely %^&^ now. Cant even find system restore. Windows update does not work. Not sure where it came from and I think this is beyond me to repair. Shovel... thats a lot of stuff to do, I will try but I think it is past the point now. If I turn system restore off, then I can never go back, so whats the point of having it in the first place. I am not comfortable in doing that although I see your point.

Shovelhead

I appreciate the advice. System is completely %^&^ now. Cant even find system restore. Windows update does not work. Not sure where it came from and I think this is beyond me to repair. Shovel... thats a lot of stuff to do, I will try but I think it is past the point now. If I turn system restore off, then I can never go back, so whats the point of having it in the first place. I am not comfortable in doing that although I see your point.

Then quit and re-install Windows!

gabagoo

where in xp do you find system restore anyways. I cant find it. It's worth taking a chance on it

signrios

Sounds like a format and reinstall to me .

Any good computer shops in your area?

i got something called vitgtigger on mine, i'm still reinstalling everything after a complete fresh install of xp!
i guess this will be the easiest thing to do.

OADesign

You may want to see if there is a newer version of AVG out there. AVG has been great for me.

I hope this helps.

+1 for malwarebytes

jbennett

I hope this helps.

DITTO!

Malwarebytes is an awesome prog.

MachServTech

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
If I turn system restore off, then I can never go back, so whats the point of having it in the first place. I am not comfortable in doing that although I see your point.

and if you use a restore point, you'll be caught in a never ending loop with the virus....the virus is more than likely in your system restore...

if you're not comfy doing that....then reinstall, or go buy a new pc...

gabagoo

system restore will only let me go back to the exact time all this happened on the 4th. OK I screwed here so far. I have spybot in my other computers here, I will try and get it going in this one although the damge is done.

MachServTech

You will be surprised what will come back once you remove a trojan, but yes in some cases it will edit the registry and corrupt files. Most of the ones that hide system controls will do this.

MachServTech

Also if you must surf the web in risky areas (warez fonts vector art clipart) Use Sandboxie. It will make a boxed in environment that is separate from your OS. Like putting a pet rattlesnake in an aquarium instead of your livingroom.