• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I hate to rant but have no choice

gabagoo

Actually I love to rant...it is my hobby it seems lol

2 weeks ago I returned a shipment of corrogated plastic because when it was put through the laminator it crushed them and warped up the signs. I could squeeze the corrogations together with my thumb and finger almost effortlessly.
I purchased 20 sheets from another supplier that carries the corroplast brand and they went through the laminator effortlessly.
This morning I pick up from the newer supplier who carries the corroplast brand 8 pieces of pre cut 18 x 24 sheets for a small order for a golf tournament due by noon. Start running them through the laminator and again each piece was crushed and warped. I stopped and put the vinyl down manually.

Whats going on in the sign world. I cant buy a decent sheet of corrogated now? I have issues constantly with finding a decent retractable banner material!!. The list seems to be escalating.

Am I the only one experiencing these issues?

Is it possible that maybe your not suppoised to run corrogated through a laminator and I have just been lucky the last 6 months?

thank you for your ears

WrapperX

We've run corogated through our laminator without issue - however maybe it's not really the coro thats the problem. Maybe you need to adjust the weight or pressure on your laminator. I know it seems like a silly solution and I'm pretty sure you checked that but...you never know.

CanuckSigns

We run ours through our laminator all the time, never had an issue, we even set the thickness for 3mm and still no problems

gabagoo

It has only just started happening. maybe my pressureis to great but how was it that I never had an issue before? I dont believe it is the laminator at all but posiibly off shore garbage making its way through the supply chain.

I have a tech coming over to look it over next week

ps// maybe I should be running corrugated along the flutes instead of across them? i will try that next

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
there is a brand called Hi-Core (I think) and in Canada its carried by EM Plastics -- its heavier walled and stiffer than CoroPlast.

andy

What's wrong with 3 or 5mm White PVC? Much nicer substrate and not what you'd call "expensive".

Fluted board is great for packaging or as sacrificial coverings.... for signs.. I don't think so.

gnemmas

PVC breaks easier than Coro, and does not work with step-stakes.

We had that same warping issue with certain batch of Coro as well. Changing direction helps.

gabagoo

What's wrong with 3 or 5mm White PVC? Much nicer substrate and not what you'd call "expensive".

Fluted board is great for packaging or as sacrificial coverings.... for signs.. I don't think so.

golf course sponsorship signs on step stakes? not going to use pvc!!!

skyhigh

I wouldn't classify this thread as a "Rant".....more like a "Whine" that you had to do them by hand :ROFLMAO:

jk dude.

Serious tho.... The blanks I buy from my supplier are boxed (not shrink wrapped), and don't seem to have the crushed ends. I'll check who the manufacturer is, and get back to you.

gabagoo

I ran some a frame inserts this morning using some offcuts of Corroplast brand and no crushing. I guess the supplier buys the pre cut 18 x 24's from some other company. They are chit and I let them know I wont be paying for thewm hehehe

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Actually I love to rant...it is my hobby it seems lol

2 weeks ago I returned a shipment of corrogated plastic because when it was put through the laminator it crushed them and warped up the signs. I could squeeze the corrogations together with my thumb and finger almost effortlessly.
I purchased 20 sheets from another supplier that carries the corroplast brand and they went through the laminator effortlessly.
This morning I pick up from the newer supplier who carries the corroplast brand 8 pieces of pre cut 18 x 24 sheets for a small order for a golf tournament due by noon. Start running them through the laminator and again each piece was crushed and warped. I stopped and put the vinyl down manually.

Whats going on in the sign world. I cant buy a decent sheet of corrogated now? I have issues constantly with finding a decent retractable banner material!!. The list seems to be escalating.

Am I the only one experiencing these issues?

Is it possible that maybe your not suppoised to run corrogated through a laminator and I have just been lucky the last 6 months?

thank you for your ears

I run Coro through my old Daige laminator (it's now my mounting machine ONLY) but I always get coro that is crooked (sleightly diagonal). So you measure end to end, it's 96. the other end to end is 96 but but it up against the edge of the table...and a corner hangs over the end (table is straight for you smart alecs).
As for retractable banner material...I finally found a winner 2 months ago. Pop Up. Fellers sells it. Now I have to find banner stands that don't fall apart (made in China) that I can buy by the box.