• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I have never seen . . .

Slamdunkpro

Virgin Mobile has them. It's $20 for 250mb (you can get more or less ) of downloads and it expires in 30 days if you don't use it all. No contract or monthly, you just load it when you need it. I keep one in my laptop bag for travel and emergencies. Most hotels want $10 or more per day to use the hotel wireless anymore so they can come in handy.

southshoredecal

it is called tethering. you can do it easily with just about any smart phone, ala iphone, blackberry, etc... the problem is that you have to have to have the data add on to your phone plan, i think its standard on a ni phone, and is on a blackberry if you want to use it as a blackberry. the cell companies do not want you to tether with out paying them extra a month. with the usb cable that comes with your smart phone and some google searches you can figure it out, even in linux. just dont over do it, it would be pretty obvious to ATT that something was up when out of no where your data usage skyrocketed! but good to have in a pinch or to check email on the go. combine it with a net book and your golden!

Slamdunkpro

it is called tethering. you can do it easily with just about any smart phone, ala iphone, blackberry, etc... the problem is that you have to have to have the data add on to your phone plan, i think its standard on a ni phone, and is on a blackberry if you want to use it as a blackberry. the cell companies do not want you to tether with out paying them extra a month. with the usb cable that comes with your smart phone and some google searches you can figure it out, even in linux. just dont over do it, it would be pretty obvious to ATT that something was up when out of no where your data usage skyrocketed! but good to have in a pinch or to check email on the go. combine it with a net book and your golden!

Blackberry tethering on Verizon is $15/month on top of your data plan, and they've gotten really strict about it.

saktrnch

Depending on your phone you can tether, as mentioned. If you have a blackberry, and you snyc with your computer, the driver is probably already there. If you have a motorola, go to their website and down load the modem driver. Palms work also, and iPhone if you jail break it.
Then in your computer, set up an new dial up connection. The number to call is #777 and use your phone number as the user name and password. If you have sprint you may have to use your number@sprintpcs.com for your user name.
Just a reminder, if you are sneaking in without a data plan, the time you spend on the internet will probably be charged against your minutes, so don't exceed your plan....