• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I have no idea what is going on with my print head has anyone had this fuzzy issue?

MakeMyGraphic

okay I cleaned the printer per usual, has new felt wiper, new plastic wiper, did a nozzle pattern check and the pattern turned out fine.

I ran a print job at the highest quality setting of my BN-20 and I get this weird effect with the magenta... it seems to be.. what? maybe offset?

anyway here is a direct link to the image since it stretches the board out if I put it here http://i.imgur.com/mEomxBr.jpg

then the print nozzle condition as I mentioned seems fine
attachment.php

has anyone had this problem? and if so how do I fix it?

btw this is my 3rd year printing and I learn things the hard way many times :x but learning at my own expense is what I do since I never took any classes on these things. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 19BmCwO.jpg
    19BmCwO.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,143

GunBunny13B

When you replaced the wiper, did you put it on the correct way? It's like an upside down J, with the hook facing towards the printhead's resting place.

MakeMyGraphic

oh I will take a look right now and let you know! Thanks.

EDIT: okay just checked and I did it right :\ bummer I was hoping that would be it. I mean.... at the lowest resolution I don't see as much fuzz but I am thinking it's because it uses less ink in that mode sooo -__- darn it... thanks for the suggestion though, I am willing to try more things in case anyone suggests.

CS-SignSupply

Can you get a better (closer) image of the Nozzle test?

Overspray like that can be alot of things; static, ribbon cables, head, etc...

Normally this is a head replacement based on what I see in the images; after elimination the static issue first.

Desert_Signs

Normally this is a head replacement based on what I see in the images; after elimination the static issue first.

Yeah, wore out head. The LM head in my XC540 is like that. Nozzle test looks great. Try and do a calibration print and it's completely blown out.

MakeMyGraphic

oh God no.... I really hope this isn't the case :( I really cannot afford a new printer and if I did get a new printer I would go with a slightly larger model since this machine is slow and too small now for my needs...

here's a closeup of the nozzle pattern...

http://i.imgur.com/DGleGQJ.jpg

again too big for the boards sooo just posting the link

MakeMyGraphic

Yeah, wore out head. The LM head in my XC540 is like that. Nozzle test looks great. Try and do a calibration print and it's completely blown out.

this... is definitely a major bummer because the BN-20 only has 1 print head... meaning I will have to replace the entire thing, at which point it's better to just invest in a larger printer. Sadly money is tight right now :(

player

I would change the dampers first. If the damper's filter is clogged it can allow enough ink for a good test print, but starve the head when printing causing weird spraying.

If not, you still need new dampers for a new head to keep the Roland warranty.

MakeMyGraphic

I would change the dampers first. If the damper's filter is clogged it can allow enough ink for a good test print, but starve the head when printing causing weird spraying.

If not, you still need new dampers for a new head to keep the Roland warranty.

thanks. my machine is well out of warranty, and it's a BN-20 sooo servicing these machines is a PITA and the only way for me to get any info on how the printhead works is by running a Service app on the machine which only Roland techs can do, AND I am located in San Diego where there is only 1 certified Roland Tech and when I had him come over to work on my BN-20 to convert it from CMMYK to CMYKWh he ranted to me about how terribly Roland had designed the BN-20 to make it near impossible for just anybody but a Roland tech to work on...

back on subject though, I did kind of notice that the over-spray or misting that is happening is occurring in an almost perfect offset/like area of the print I am running... almost like the magenta just isn't hitting the vinyl with perfect timing. So I know without replacing the Dampers I can't get any further answers to this buuut is this something that does happen typically in scenarios of a bad damper? or ? I'm just looking for possible solutions here.

player

thanks. my machine is well out of warranty, and it's a BN-20 sooo servicing these machines is a PITA and the only way for me to get any info on how the printhead works is by running a Service app on the machine which only Roland techs can do, AND I am located in San Diego where there is only 1 certified Roland Tech and when I had him come over to work on my BN-20 to convert it from CMMYK to CMYKWh he ranted to me about how terribly Roland had designed the BN-20 to make it near impossible for just anybody but a Roland tech to work on...

back on subject though, I did kind of notice that the over-spray or misting that is happening is occurring in an almost perfect offset/like area of the print I am running... almost like the magenta just isn't hitting the vinyl with perfect timing. So I know without replacing the Dampers I can't get any further answers to this buuut is this something that does happen typically in scenarios of a bad damper? or ? I'm just looking for possible solutions here.

I meant keep the warranty on the new head(s). I found out recently if you don't put in new dampers on a new Roland head, you void the warranty on the new head.

player

As far as your issue being dampers, it is a long shot, but I had a problem with a dx4 head that was similar. I paid $1,800 for a new head change (huge travel fee) and after the tech left, the problem continued. That's where I learned about putting new dampers on. Anyhow once the dampers were changed and a head alignment was done everything was 100%.

MakeMyGraphic

As far as your issue being dampers, it is a long shot, but I had a problem with a dx4 head that was similar. I paid $1,800 for a new head change (huge travel fee) and after the tech left, the problem continued. That's where I learned about putting new dampers on. Anyhow once the dampers were changed and a head alignment was done everything was 100%.

yeah... I know but I cross my fingers :( I also happen to know how involved it is to change the dampers on the BN-20 I looked at a service manual from the Roland tech a long time ago (he was kind enough to show me) and I saw that have to essentially remove ALL the housing of the machine to properly access the print head -__- then be extra careful not to touch the print head or I could ruin it, also to pay attention where all the wires and tubes are since connecting those wrong would ruin it as well... it did NOT look like an easy job to do... after a restless night I ran a new print and it is looking SLIGHTLY better (less ghosting)

this machine seriously needs a major overhaul and service. It's hard to work on these things. I think my next best bet will be to contact Roland when they open Monday and see if I can get into a "rental" program since at the moment my sales aren't high enough to merrit a payment, and the idea of Roland taking care of their own rental sounds like it would work good for me too... I would only have to take care of the regular consumables.. I am hoping not having to have to deal with busted printheads anymore. AND getting the next size up model, maybe a 30" since I have a good friend here in San Diego who owns one and knows how to troubleshoot pretty much anything with them. SMH what a PITA this little printer has been -__- I mean.. I love it because it got me started with everything... but it simply is a nightmare to service.

player

Are sure they rent? I have heard of leasing, but never renting...

A reconditioned SP300V or better yet SP540V would be a good workhorse machine for you...