• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I have scratched my head(s)

threads1

Sometime last week my media bunched up under the right side media clamp and when the print head passed over it (several times) the clamp scratched 3 of the heads. Now, I'm having major banding on my prints. My salesman was just here and he informs me that each head is $1200.00 and it will be about $500.00 in labor. So, I'm looking at almost 4 grand in repairs. My 2 questions are:

Is it safe for me to replace the heads myself. I'm very mechanical. And, I just downloaded a shop manual and I hope it shows/explains how to do this.

Is there any place that sells these heads for a lesser amount.

I'm so bummed out right now.......just never seem to make any headway with my bank account.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Charlie

J Hill Designs

try alot of manual and auto cleaning before you jump to that conclusion...I have had quite a few head scrapes, and a few manual cleanings and maybe a slight head soak and have been good-to-go...just a thought before opening your wallet

ABPGraphics

try alot of manual and auto cleaning before you jump to that conclusion...I have had quite a few head scrapes, and a few manual cleanings and maybe a slight head soak and have been good-to-go...just a thought before opening your wallet

I totally agree - The last time I had banding my sponge needed replacing
now the print is back to normal

artbot

if you are slightly mechanical you should be fine for the head change. the first one will be about an hour getting familiar, then the other two will be about 10 minutes each. as far as heads, i've seen solvent dx4's as low as $550 lately coming from chinese distributors. and the $700s in the u.s.

as far as "scratching", the media clamp very well might have done them in. take them out before you order to look at the bottoms to see if they just have ink and dust jammed from the impact or they heads have mechanical damage.

i'll pm you a manual for changing out a dx4 in a jv3. i know it's not the right manual, but for now it will possibly put at ease on the procedure.

threads1

Thanks for the answers everyone. To soak them, I'm assuming I need to take them out and stick them in solvent. Is that correct?

I have done at least 7 cleanings with the last 2 being a heavy and no change at all to the test print. The salesman said he can see a physical scratch on the 3 heads. I need to get my super magnifier glasses and check it out.

Artbot...where can I find those heads.....Google?

J Hill Designs

fill caps with cleaning solution, and after heads repark on captops turn off the machine via the rear switch so the pumps dont pump out the solvent...thats how I do it on my seiko

threeputt

Here's one thing to think about. You may be able to R & R the heads, but the head alignment will be a problem for you.

We had a tech replace a head on the Roland (four weeks ago) and the other head must also be sync'ed.

Looked fairly complicated, but good luck if you do try it.

albert

scratched head

i come from asia and we get the roland heads (DX4) for about 800 US dollars. I just dont know how much will it cost to ship it to your place.

Robert M

Print heads

I have them at www.solventinkjet.com, but before getting new ones get a mirror and look at the head to see if it is damaged. You may just have dried ink on the head
We also include free tech manuals
Ships out of Denver

tbaker

while the installation could be fairly easily handled, the calibrations can be a bit confusing, giving that you are replacing multiple heads at once. Replacing one head is seldom an issue, as you have others to reference, but with multiples gone, I would suggest calling a tech. send me a PM if you want someone to come take a look and I'll have someone give you a call.

DRamm76

I'd never advise anyone who isn't familiar with changing a print head to try to do it themselves. If you're on the experience level mechanically as some of the guys on here I'd say it's worth a shot, but if you're only reason for trying to do is to save a few bucks, that's the wrong reason.

There are people trained to repair these machines out there for a reason. Like I said, I am NOT knocking anyone who knows how to fix it themselves and someone who already has, but truth is, forums are for information, anyone who offers you advice and manuals and all that is fine, but remember, if you screw it up it's all on you and can cost you more than $1700 in the long run.

Think this over and consider the risk. If you have and you've done the research to do it yourself, I wish you the best, but if not, don't risk it. We'd all hate to see you on here next week saying how your machine is now DOA and you need $4000 now to repair it.