• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I love this kind of work!

deegrafix

The client provides an auto-cad line drawing and general info on their client and then uses the rendering for a sales tool. These are so much fun I could do them all the time and it always pushes me to learn more about photoshop.

Attachments

• BEFORE N AFTER.jpg
    BEFORE N AFTER.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 78

deegrafix

I remember the days BC, (before computer) when the salesman would come in with specs wanting to see color and an artist would sit down with pencil and color pencils and do a layout, then the salesman would drive back over to the customer who would change a color, calling for another hand drawn layout, another trip across town etc. We've come a long way!

Baz

Sure have ... I remember taking the final sketch and putting in a projector to hand draw full size paper patterns .. Used to hand letter, hand cut.

Allot of fun has been taken out of the industry ....

deegrafix

Me too. Did you have an electro-pounce? Zzzzzzzzt! No fun getting up early to use the projector because we couldn't make the room dark enough during the day. lol. I miss my quills and my airbrushes and the wonderful smell of One Shot!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I remember the days BC, (before computer) when the salesman would come in with specs wanting to see color and an artist would sit down with pencil and color pencils and do a layout, then the salesman would drive back over to the customer who would change a color, calling for another hand drawn layout, another trip across town etc. We've come a long way!

Sounds like a strange way to make layouts.... even back then.

The standard was to sell the B&W design/layout/logo first. Then we would take the black & white, make a slick and put tissue paper over it and do partial coloring. Sometimes one layout/design would have 20 or more tissues layers.

As for darkening the room, in my first shop, we had no windows. It was a huge four bay garage, so making it dark was natural. Our second shop, we installed awnings on the inside of all the windows and would draw them closed when needed..... or waited til nightfall.

John Butto

Sounds like a strange way to make layouts.... even back then.

The standard was to sell the B&W design/layout/logo first. Then we would take the black & white, make a slick and put tissue paper over it and do partial coloring. Sometimes one layout/design would have 20 or more tissues layers.

As for darkening the room, in my first shop, we had no windows. It was a huge four bay garage, so making it dark was natural. Our second shop, we installed awnings on the inside of all the windows and would draw them closed when needed..... or waited til nightfall.
I would do a pencil drawing on vellum, stick it in the metal tube with blue print paper, with the ammonia at the bottom, take the blue print and using Design Spectracolor pencils, color it in. You could get some great blends with those pencils. For Archtitectural finish drawings such as the poster did, I would to watercolors or gouache.

Baz

Me too. Did you have an electro-pounce? Zzzzzzzzt! No fun getting up early to use the projector because we couldn't make the room dark enough during the day. lol. I miss my quills and my airbrushes and the wonderful smell of One Shot!

Never used an electropounce. Lots of carbon paper and carbon sticks. Shop i worked at was in a two story house in downtown Ottawa. Second floor used to have apartments but it was gutted and our "projection" room i guess used to be a kids room because it had old race car wallpaper (hot weels i believe). We had all the windows boarded up and it was pitch black even in the middle of the day.

We also did allot of screen printing with cut out paper patterns using enamel screen ink for 4'x8' MDO sheets.