Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I love when this stuff happens

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by gabagoo, Sep 12, 2012.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I had a customers brand new gmc Express last week and it was booked in for the Thursday and to be finished at the end of the day. Nothing hard and I have done a dozen or so over the years.

They drop the vehicle off a day early, but I said it was booked for the following day so it wont be ready until the end of the day that it was booked in for.

I decided to use this 3M vinyl that I bought a full roll of...the 770 I think with the plastic backing paper. In any case towards the end of the day as I was working on the vehicle, this girl from there office calls and starts putting the screws to me insisting that the truck needs to be done by 4 pm. I hadn't even started weeding anything so I rushed it and because I used that vinyl the weeding was ever so easy especially for the small intricate stuff.

I rushed to get it on the side panels but started to get flustered as the premask was having trouble lifting the vinyl off the plastic backing paper.

I cursed a lot and and kept pushing the piece back down and squeeging it and still having issues getting it off. Finally get it all off and because I had not a lot of time, I sort of squeegeed it somewhat differently than I normally did and upon removing the mask was horrified to see so many small bubbles in just about every letter.

Normally I would have ripped it all off and started again but due to pressure I had no time and figured I would soon learn if it was true that the heat of the sun over a few weeks would slowly remove the bubbles.

get a call from this woman telling me that she now would pick up the truck first thing in the morning as she wanted to leave early....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Now for sure I wasn't going to repair anything.

Finsished up the truck, parked it outside and went home.

get a call today that there is a problem with the truck.......

seems the dealership sold them the wrong model...hehehehe and I get to re letter their new truck coming in tomorrow. I going to get me some high tack pre mask and try that vinyl again and see how it goes.

sometimes things just sort of work out eh?

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I just love happy endings...........

3. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

I have found lately that savanahs and xpress's that the back panel is curved top to bottom, (probably always has been, but only seemed to notice issues installing lately) so squeeging side to side can present a problem, especially if you hing it in the middle. I now work top to bottom and it goes down much better.

4. TyrantDesigner

TyrantDesigner Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    My design computer at home gets shut down regularly, my other 2 computers at home stay on almost 24/7 but go into power saving mode when inactive.

At work ... the computer stays on all the time ... only time I turn it off is for the weekend ... otherwise I would prefer the system do it's updates at night when no one is here, not at 8am when I have a customer waiting at the door.

5. Tim Aucoin

Tim Aucoin Very Active Member

:Oops:

6. TyrantDesigner

TyrantDesigner Very Active Member

Mar 9, 2011
    crap, man ... this is what I get with no coffee in me.

7. Joe Diaz

Joe Diaz Very Active Member

Hopefully you get paid for doing both trucks and removing the vinyl from the wrong truck.

8. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Is that truck now considered used, since it's been driven, lettered and returned.... all in one day ??

Think of the discounts available on it................ :rolleyes:

9. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Dammit Gino NO! Its called Certified Pre Owned!!!!!! cause nothing certifies pre owned as it acrtually was pre owned...IDIOTS!

10. 2CT Media

2CT Media Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Most dealers can sell the vehicle as new as long as the title hasn't been transferred.

11. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario

It would be a great deal considering it was sent out for racking as well...and the dealership is getting there guys to remove the lettering, so it will be scratched too!!! It also has one of those gizmos on the side for carrying large sheets of glass.