Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I made a mistake - don't want to do it again - help

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by SV Signworks, Sep 3, 2019.

1. SV Signworks

SV Signworks Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Kellogg Idaho
    I created and hung a 3m dibond sign - size 3'x8' - From hooks and chains. It has bent up horribly. We'll replace of course. But what is the largest you should go for hanging 3m and or... if going larger - just thicker dibond 6m? or some sort of edging... or NEVER EVER hang dibond? Silver around edge is print not a frame.
    Appreciate your help...

Yes... I'm still new at this and my apprenticeship was too short. OBVIOUSLY. IMG_4268.JPG

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    Tags:
  2. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    I'm surprised this hasn't fallen, guess there is no wind there?
    hardware directly into ACM will pull out / tear the ACM material

you need a full-frame, 4-sided, especially for this size.
    depending on your available tools and abilities, you can weld or bolt together the frame.
    We use metal, it's more as it is readily available for us. Aluminum is also a good frame material

NEVER hang a sign with J hooks, they will "unhook"
    you want an enclosed and secured hardware connection point

Take the sign down ASAP!!, before it gets too damaged or hurts someone, make the frame and re-install once correctly done.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. SV Signworks

SV Signworks Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Kellogg Idaho
    Thank you. Will do this immediately. Sincerely appreciated.

4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Even with a frame it will tug and pull on that thin wood

5. SV Signworks

SV Signworks Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Kellogg Idaho
    We had recommended installing on posts but he didn’t want to. I’m thinking flush mount onto the wall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Hanging signs should be heavy enough that the wind doesn't blow them around too easily. Which also means they need to be solid with heavy fasteners.
    For now the wall mount is your best option

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Possibly 10mm alumalite, bit if for whatever reason, it let go...... I wouldn't wanna be responsiresponsible for decapitating people. A sign that size should be mounted directly to a wall or some sorta solid framework which is completely stationary. You can't have something that size blowing in the wind (Peter, Paul and Mary).... especially on chains, yet. Good this happened, cause if anyone saw it from codes, you'd be cited immediately.

8. SV Signworks

SV Signworks Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Kellogg Idaho

I agree - I don’t want to decapitate anyone. Blowing in the Wind - PP&M and Bob! Showing our age :D

Codes LOL - you should see some of the signs that pass out here. It’s my plan to be better than that. Hence the request for help.

Thank you all!

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    So, you're saying they Okayed this installation ?? To be better than the others, evidently don't base it on what ya see around town. Use this place for a sounding board, if you're not sure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SV Signworks

SV Signworks Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Kellogg Idaho

I absolutely appreciate the feedback here. I want to set a higher standard here. I just still have much to learn. This is an excellent forum.

11. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Just a friendly reminder...

m = metre
    mm = millimetre
    mil = 1/1000 inch

• I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  12. SV Signworks

SV Signworks Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Kellogg Idaho
    Thank you. I get to typing and fail to check what I've written before hitting post.

13. BIGMAX

BIGMAX New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Jennings,Fl

14. BIGMAX

BIGMAX New Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Jennings,Fl
    Had similar experience before. Welded 1/2" angle frame, drilled and bolted to welded frame using flatbat to "pinch" substrate to frame. That was about 3 years ago and still holding up. We live and learn. Just my $.02.

15. BobM

BobM Very Active Member

May 31, 2008
    Cape Cod
    I don't hang anything with multiply chain links as it adds to "swing". Top loop, bar with two holes, and bottom loop. All connections closed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    SV Signworks, I'm still new also and I agree this site is excellent. I would also mount to the wall. You could blame it on the codes...regardless of if they are going to approve it, if the code book states it, then you can blame it on the codes. I also make mistakes and it sucks. Thank God for this site!!

17. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

Never let the customer dictate to you what they want, you tell them what they need.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1