• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I made a mistake - don't want to do it again - help

SV Signworks

I created and hung a 3m dibond sign - size 3'x8' - From hooks and chains. It has bent up horribly. We'll replace of course. But what is the largest you should go for hanging 3m and or... if going larger - just thicker dibond 6m? or some sort of edging... or NEVER EVER hang dibond? Silver around edge is print not a frame.
Appreciate your help...

Yes... I'm still new at this and my apprenticeship was too short. OBVIOUSLY.
IMG_4268.JPG

Last edited:

2B

I'm surprised this hasn't fallen, guess there is no wind there?
hardware directly into ACM will pull out / tear the ACM material

you need a full-frame, 4-sided, especially for this size.
depending on your available tools and abilities, you can weld or bolt together the frame.
We use metal, it's more as it is readily available for us. Aluminum is also a good frame material

NEVER hang a sign with J hooks, they will "unhook"
you want an enclosed and secured hardware connection point

Take the sign down ASAP!!, before it gets too damaged or hurts someone, make the frame and re-install once correctly done.

Billct2

Hanging signs should be heavy enough that the wind doesn't blow them around too easily. Which also means they need to be solid with heavy fasteners.
For now the wall mount is your best option

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Possibly 10mm alumalite, bit if for whatever reason, it let go...... I wouldn't wanna be responsiresponsible for decapitating people. A sign that size should be mounted directly to a wall or some sorta solid framework which is completely stationary. You can't have something that size blowing in the wind (Peter, Paul and Mary).... especially on chains, yet. Good this happened, cause if anyone saw it from codes, you'd be cited immediately.

SV Signworks

Possibly 10mm alumalite, bit if for whatever reason, it let go...... I wouldn't wanna be responsiresponsible for decapitating people. A sign that size should be mounted directly to a wall or some sorta solid framework which is completely stationary. You can't have something that size blowing in the wind (Peter, Paul and Mary).... especially on chains, yet. Good this happened, cause if anyone saw it from codes, you'd be cited immediately.

I agree - I don’t want to decapitate anyone. Blowing in the Wind - PP&M and Bob! Showing our age :D

Codes LOL - you should see some of the signs that pass out here. It’s my plan to be better than that. Hence the request for help.

Thank you all!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, you're saying they Okayed this installation ?? To be better than the others, evidently don't base it on what ya see around town. Use this place for a sounding board, if you're not sure.

SV Signworks

So, you're saying they Okayed this installation ?? To be better than the others, evidently don't base it on what ya see around town. Use this place for a sounding board, if you're not sure.

I absolutely appreciate the feedback here. I want to set a higher standard here. I just still have much to learn. This is an excellent forum.

shoresigns

I created and hung a 3m dibond sign - size 3'x8' - From hooks and chains. It has bent up horribly. We'll replace of course. But what is the largest you should go for hanging 3m and or... if going larger - just thicker dibond 6m?]

Just a friendly reminder...

m = metre
mm = millimetre
mil = 1/1000 inch

BIGMAX

Had similar experience before. Welded 1/2" angle frame, drilled and bolted to welded frame using flatbat to "pinch" substrate to frame. That was about 3 years ago and still holding up. We live and learn. Just my $.02.

BobM

I don't hang anything with multiply chain links as it adds to "swing". Top loop, bar with two holes, and bottom loop. All connections closed.

Stacey K

I like making signs
SV Signworks, I'm still new also and I agree this site is excellent. I would also mount to the wall. You could blame it on the codes...regardless of if they are going to approve it, if the code book states it, then you can blame it on the codes. I also make mistakes and it sucks. Thank God for this site!!