• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I Messed Up

Bradster941

Moved the swing back mirror on a '99 Chevy P/U and POP, (literally) and the darn thing POPPED OFF.

I can see between the mirror and shroud that there is a spring loaded retaining clip that holds the Assembly onto the pivot shaft that has come off.

?? How do I remove the mirror, (glass) so I can re secure the retaining clip on th swivel? Or is there another way in?

Thanks,

Brad...ster

Attachments

• JP 1.jpg
    JP 1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 175
  • JP 1 T.jpg
    JP 1 T.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 163

intense_design

Just wondering if you got it figured out.. we own a body shop.. so let me know.. i can have hubby look at the pictures and explain it to you.

Border

I have bodyshop background. Many, but not all of those glass assemblies are seated in a plastic ball joint-type socket. and usually (but not always of course) you can GENTLY get behind the mirror frame with a little pry tool and pop that piece out to give you access to the inside stuff.

-Usually....

PS...there are USUALLY 2 or 3 of those ball sockets in a mirror, right where the little motors are to pivot it in and out, up and down.

GB2

Old Member
I am far from an expert in auto mirrors but I know from a broken mirror experience on my daughter's car that each part of the mirror is generally obtainable from your local dealer. That being said, if you try to get the mirror off and you break it, you can probably get just a new mirror glass for a small price. I'd definately check with your local dealer parts department, they will also be the best ones to help you determine how to put it back.