• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need a cold laminator

signdudegraphix

I just got the MJ-300 & can't get more than 8-10 feet of vinyl to go thru w/o it off tracking about an inch. I can't seem to get the vinyl to got thru straight at all. Which model of laminator do you have FatCat? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks

signdudegraphix

I have a buddy that's going to buy my MJ-300 & I'm getting a larger one. Thinking about the AK-500 or VJ-500. Not sure which route to take since I'm having issues with the MJ-300.

FatCat

I was told at the time that the AK series are better than the MJ series - though both look similar. I have the AK-600, didn't really need a 65" laminator, but for a couple hundred bucks difference it's nice to know it will work if I ever upgrade to a larger printer.

The biggest issue with these laminators is getting the setup and roller pressure correct. Typically, I don't sled or do other traditional methods for threading mine up. I raise the rollers up about an inch high, and then feed the laminate through the back side. I then put a piece of scrap backing paper on the bottom roller and slowly adjust the top roller down JUST UNTIL the weight of the roller makes the top adjustment knobs go loose. This way, only the weight of the top roller alone (no extra pressure) is doing the work. Once I have it set up I can run a whole roll of material through mine with virtually no problems.

*FWIW - the VT series looks nice, only difference is that you have one crank to lower the top roller vs 2 independent cranks on both sides for the AK series. At times it would be nice, but I've come to terms with mine and am happy with my purchase.

**If you're a small shop, these laminators are ideal. If you're printing and laminating several rolls a day then it might be a better investment to go with the Seal or GBC, etc.

MikePro

i'd be so angry if I had to crank two sides of my laminator! its already a PITA trying to get my shop's belt sander tracking right when I have to change the sanding belts.

Granted, every laminator will do what it's supposed to once its user gets the hang of it... if people designed laminators that tracked out of square, then they wouldn't be selling them for long!
Regardless, my SEAL 54" is amazing. I used to have to web using "sleds", since that's how the tech that installed it taught me how to do it. BUT i've since devised my own way to web that just burns approx. 1' of material and no sled needed. At that point, squaring my print with the laminate is as simple as lining up my wound roll of print (I trust my printer to cut straight lines and/or factory edges to be true) and shoving through.
BAM! 100'+ of 54" print, laminated square in under 10min. yes, i'm awesome.

signdudegraphix

I'm gonna try the sled method. I've always used a piece of scrap with my POS Daige. There's only about 1/4" of margin on this MJ-300. I'm betting that the larger laminators are less of a problem due to the longer rollers being heavier. I'm probably going for the AK-600 in a few weeks. My buddy only has room in his shop for this 30" laminator so he is buying it from me.

I'm a mobile sign shop. I work from a 8.5'x24' concession trailer. I mainly work fairs & events. Space is a major issue for me. I have to move a few things to make room for a 65" laminator, but I've planned for this when I got the trailer. I had the trailer custom made & did the inside myself. I knew I was getting larger equipment. Right now I have a Roland VP-300 & a Vinyl Express Qe60+ 24" cutter. Looking at getting the Mutoh 48" or 54".