• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need advice with laminating

koz

I’m looking for some help, please. Recently I printed on 3M IJ180CV3 adhesive vinyl and laminated the prints. The printing was done on a Mimaki CJV 150-160 with Mimaki Inks.
We allowed the printed vinyl to outgas for 48 hours before laminating. We then used a Seal 400 laminator to apply premium 3M 8515 laminate. The top and bottom rollers were both set to about 90 degrees ferenheit.

When we inspected the finished laminated product, we noticed that the laminate had what looked like groups of tiny little bubbles in places. Like little freckles. It wasn’t horrible, but it certainly was far from perfect.

Can anyone help me to understand what happened so that I can correct that in the future? I feel like the finished product wasn’t as good as it could have been, and I don’t like that.

oksigns

sounds like silvering.. depending *on* the sizing.

Could be a combination of dust/contaminates and not enough pressure being applied. 90 degrees is pretty warm, so I must ask were the rollers going fast? Either way.. adhesive isnt make even contact

koz

more information

Thank you for the info. It may be important to disclose that we just had both the top and bottom rollers reconditioned.

koz

more information

We've seen silvering and it wasn't that. I don't know how better to explain it other than to say it was "freckled". it almost look as if there were some tiny little crinkled spots randomly located throughout....

TimToad

Without seeing the equipment, what setting you used, speed, etc. its kind of hard.

Is it worse than just some silvering?

Have you tried heating it up?

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Have you tried laminate it cold? If the little bubbles are repetitive then it's your rollers. If it was reconditioned then it wasn't done right.

dlndesign

I run IJ180CV3 with 8518 contantly and only on cold. No issues, you allowed more than enough time to outgass, i think its the heat. It does some screwy things to laminates and media. Id do a cold test, see if it resolves what you are seeing.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
I have a cold laminator. Never had any issues with it. I have a couple of friends here who owns heat laminator and they told me that they only use it when they laminate matte. Not sure why. I had no problem laminate matte cold

bpatrick3

Did you reset the nip after your rollers were reconditioned?
Try no heat, with more pressure(I run about 60-80psi) and slow the laminator down

T_K

It sounds to me like you didn't have the right pressure setting. Either that or you're rollers are warped.