• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need glasses!!!

gabagoo

I am 56 and up until now I have used reading glasses. My eye doctor said I need everyday glasses and gave me the script. I went to an optician and the deal was you basically had to buy 2 pair so I did with progressive lenses.

I picked them up yesterday and tried them on and immediately no matter where I looked through the lense could not see as well as without glasses. Is this normal? I don't think I would try to drive with them for fear of not seeing correctly.

Is there a period of time that my eyes need to re adjust.

I remember when the doctor had that eye gizmo on me with all the lenses and he determined the strength I needed...everything was very clear and felt good...I can't say the same about these new glasses.

The optician rechecked the prescription and said they were indeed what was written.....

What do I do now?

I can't even see the computer screen without it being blurry and basically am looking over the lense to see clearly......

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I still use the Waly-Mart specials for $9.99 at 125 to 150 strength for reading and computer work. The guys here and my wife have progressive and they are hard to get used to. You might have to tilt your head back or forward according to what distance your trying to view. I do know everyone that has them complains about walking with them on as your eyes now see things differently than what is really in front of you. Also, everything seems to have a slight belly or curve to it and Larry, here at the shop, can't make a straight line with his new glasses at all. A guy that used to work here, Bob, had the same problem. Everything was curved when you take the glasses off, but not while they're on. My wife just recently switched to contacts and she says everything is absolutely back to perfect now. Believe me, going down steps was a scarey ordeal sometimes if you weren't familiar with yur surroundings. I dread the day I need them.

:cool:

SignManiac

I tried the progressives twice and just could not use them. I kind of got use to them for ordinary viewing but it was totally impossible for me to work with them. I have three side by side monitors and you had to physically turn your head directly at each one or else they got really distorted. Drove me nuts. Went back to bifocals.

gabagoo

this is very annoying..... I will give them a few days, but feel as though I have been taken. You would think that the dr or the optician would give me all the cautions that I should be aware of, but no, everyone makes assumptions that a new glass wearer would know everything..... and now I am stuck with these it seems..... $600 down the drain?

SignManiac

Take them back and tell them to replace them with a bifocals. I did and they exchanged them. You should not have to pay for glasses you can't use.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I had this happen once and I took the glasses back to the ophthalmologist who checked them and determined that they were not what he prescribed. It was never determined whether the optician made a mistake or he was handed someone else's prescription.

I tried bifocals once and almost fell down a flight of stairs as a result. Since then I use separate glasses for reading and driving ... as well as these days a third pair for computer work. It has its benefits and inconveniences but it works for me.

John Butto

Your from Canada and since you got two pairs does not mean you wear them both at once. Take off one pair and the blurriness should go away.

Marlene

how is it if you pick up a book and read it? when you read a book, you look down. when you are looking at your 'puter screen you are looking straight ahead. could it be that the part that's for close up is only at the bottom of the lens?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Progressive lenses take a bit of getting used to. I've been wearing them for 25+ years and wouldn't have any other solution.

The downside is that the actual correction is a very narrow strip, like 3/16"+- down the center of the lenses. You have no peripheral correction, you have to turn your head and look right at what you're trying to see. Even reading you have to turn your head along each line of text. Once you get used to them you do it automatically. You also learn to automatically raise and lower your head to get the exact correction for whatever distance you're viewing. These are tiny moves, not big sweeps of the head.

I've never heard of anyone who slipped on their first progressive lenses and shouted "It's a miracle, I can see!". Give it a while, it's worth it.

Gene@mpls

I tried the progressives twice and just could not use them. I kind of got use to them for ordinary viewing but it was totally impossible for me to work with them. I have three side by side monitors and you had to physically turn your head directly at each one or else they got really distorted. Drove me nuts. Went back to bifocals.

OLD GUYS WITH BIFOCALS RULE! :rock-n-roll:

d fleming

Bifocals. My brother in law is a Wally World optician and when I had to go to bifocals he talked me into progressives. Hated them. Gave them the old college try, just couldn't stand 'em. Asked him to do it again with lined bifocals and also added the lenses that turn into sunglasses outdoors, love that, no more problems. Your eyeglasses provider should replace the lenses with no argument. And 600 bills for two pair of glasses is nuts, do they get cable?

MrSalumi

Assuming they got the prescription correct.. .It takes a while to get used to glasses. I've worn them since I was a kid and still when I switch from my contacts back to my glasses it takes a day or two to get used to them. Welcome to being blind!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
See, if ya woulda listened to your Mom when you were young, this wouldn't be happening. :rolleyes:

sfr table hockey

I just went through this myself. A year or so back I tried my first pair of progressives and when I tried them on the center view area was clear and looked good but if I panned my eyes ever so slightly to the right it was massive blurr. Although to the left I could move them a lot further without blurr. They had told my it was due to my eyes. I could not function with then and they replaced them with a bifocal set which then the top area was normal and just had to get used to the lower reading area. They were hard to golf in and screwed my game up that year but that was better by the next year.

Move to today.... they now have a digital lense that is better for progressives yet with a wider view of vision. The new place said that a possible reason I did not like my first set was due to one eye being measured wrong and thus blurred with the slightest pan to my right. When I put these new digital pair on I did see an immediate difference in being able to pan my eyes slightly without moving my head and they were much better. They are more money but also had a half price deal and that made them resonable. Less than $600 with frames, lenses and sunglass attchements.

I still use a separate computer pair of lenses because with any others you are always looking up and through the bottome of the lenses to see the monitor. I would suggest this and then make sure if you don't like your progressives, go back and tell them you would rather go to a bifocal. All eye glass places should give you that option. They may not tell you that up front but they should as I have been told. Also see if they will re test your eyes to see if that was the true prescription as that does not sound right. You would see blurr in the outer edges but standing in one spot and focusing on a wall you should see clear in the center.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nah, the old joke punchline is your comeback of... can I do it til I need glasses ??

GWSigns

They nailed me with progressive lenses a few years ago and I HATED them.

This last time I said, no thank you and have two pair - regular distance correction and reading glasses.

Some folks say "You just have to get used to them." In three years I never did, so no more for this kid.

rjpjr

...you have to turn your head and look right at what you're trying to see.
...You also learn to automatically raise and lower your head to get the exact correction for whatever distance you're viewing. These are tiny moves, not big sweeps of the head.
+ 1
I bought my first pair about three years ago and there was a learning curve. I even returned to my optometrist and had them review my prescription and confirm that glasses were milled correctly. They were.

Essentially you have to point your nose at whatever you want to see clearly.

...I can't even see the computer screen without it being blurry and basically am looking over the lense to see clearly......

It is about mastering tilt angles and viewing distance. It will come.

gregwallace

My wife gets glasses all the time from zenni optical (online). You have to have a script. They cost us about 30 bucks per pair without insurance.