• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need help choosing Software for my cutter

wannabe

I use LXi 8 master. I import jpgs or bmps and vectorize them myself if they're simple enough with the "vectorize" tool or again if it's simple enough recreate it. Otherwise I use THE VECTOR DOCTOR!! I've liked my LXi for nearly two years now. The price was only $300. from Sign Warehouse and from what I've read Flexi makes LXi I think. Kinda like the generic version.

Techman

The challenge is to be as adaptive as possible.

I always recommend cocut because it is not limited to just corel
You can use this plugin with illustrator, free hand, corel draw, autocad and cut vinyl
Thus if just about any one sends you a vector file you can cut it..

Suing one of thise other dedicated software not only limits a person but locks them into designing with just that software.

multiple options rule. Locked in doesn't. .

iSign

The challenge is to be as adaptive as possible...

...Using one of thise other dedicated software not only limits a person but locks them into designing with just that software.

multiple options rule. Locked in doesn't. .

I would agree with all your points, except the assumption that anyone with a sign specific (do-it-all) software, would thereby limit themselves to attempting to do it all in that software.

Myself for an example, I was proficient in using Adobe software for many years before owning my company. At that point, I also had experience in multiple sign software packages. So as I built my business, I made use of a vinyl cutting software (Casmate) that I purchased second hand (with dongle) & which had several design features that Illustrator didn't do so well at that time, such as scanning access, bitmap tracing, efficient outlining tools & some envelope distortion tools. Still, there were several things I did in Illustrator or Photoshop as well.

Later, I received a crossgrade price to buy Flexi Pro for $1100, which I did because it did not require giving up Casmate. I continued to rely on Casmate & never began to learn Flexi until I bought my Mimaki printer. At that time, I was being offered Onyx or Wasatch, as tools I would need to have to run my printer. When my supplier learned that I owned Flexi Pro, although it had been sitting unused on the shelf for 3 years at that point, he observed that I didn't need to buy a $2K rip software after all.

Again, it is a tool that serves a purpose for me, but rastor design work is not the purpose it serves. I had been doing that in photoshop for over 10 years, so installing Flexi as a production manager tool for setting up & outputting my large format print/cut jobs worked good for me, but was no reason to quit using photoshop. I am working far more with files of my own creation, then from customer supplied files, so i am already in photoshop creating an image. The only bitmap editing tools I have ever had any desire to use in flexi is the crop tool, and that worked just fine the one time I needed it in the last 3 years.

p5enterprise

Wow, all this is great info and I have a lot to work with now. I forgot to mention that I have Inkscape also and I guess I am just a dummy when it comes to software but I can't figure it out either. I guess I will try to get ahold of signcut x2's rep and see if they can help explain it to me any better. Thanks for not grilling me over asking a silly question.

Mike