• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I need help on how many yards I need to wrap vehicle

LMSigns24

Can somebody who does wrap jobs often tell me how much vinyl I would need to wrap a 2007 Subaru wrx hatch? He wants to wrap entire vehicle. Obviously a 60" roll, but how many yards? Thank you to anyone that can help!! I did start to figure out myself but i need some help.

unclebun

Did you take pictures and measure the car? If so, just figure out how you're going to seamlessly cover it with 5' wide material and you'll have your answer. And buy more than what you figure up. You have to account for messups and unforeseen math errors.

tyzero

Typically you can order a 25 yard roll and that will cover an entire vehicle including some extra things like door jambs and spoilers, etc. If you are trying to order "just enough", that is not a good idea. If you are not proficient with wrapping cars you would like to have some extra on hand. Also if for some reason in a few months you have failure of the vinyl, you can grab what is left from the original roll so the color is close. Plus the cost difference between 18 yards and 25 yards is not that much.

I am a total newb when it comes to this. Can someone please tell me, just how hard is it to learn to do one of these vehicle wraps. I don't think I would even touch this topic if it was for a customer, but my brother wants me to wrap his vehicle because the paint job looks like crap on it, and then put cut vinyl lettering on afterwards. I am nervous it will look worse than the paint job by the time I am done. ANd how many people are required to do this. I am guessing it is at least a two person job, am I right? Sorry for the embarrasingly green questions, but I am very nervous about trying this and looking like an idiot to my brother.

ikarasu

It's a one person job. However to wrap a full vehicle in a color change, you need tons, and tons of practice. Something flat wont be too tricky, but you'll probably waste as much material trying to wrap a bumper perfectly as you would doing the rest of the vehicle... It's not something you should try if you have no experience wrapping. Not to mention even if you do get it looking good... If you dont know the do's and don'ts of wrapping, odds are it's going to start peeling and falling off within a few months and look like crap anyways.

That said... you need to start somewhere, and your vehicle / family vehicles are the best place. just know that it wont look perfect.

AND if the paint job is shit... IE peeling or not smooth or tons of deep scratches... just know that will all show through. Unless you spend days sanding the vehicle down.

In short... Doing a wrap isnt hard, doing a proper wrap is... If it were me and I wasnt in the wrap business, I'd tell him to go somewhere else...

It's a one person job. However to wrap a full vehicle in a color change, you need tons, and tons of practice. Something flat wont be too tricky, but you'll probably waste as much material trying to wrap a bumper perfectly as you would doing the rest of the vehicle... It's not something you should try if you have no experience wrapping. Not to mention even if you do get it looking good... If you dont know the do's and don'ts of wrapping, odds are it's going to start peeling and falling off within a few months and look like crap anyways.

That said... you need to start somewhere, and your vehicle / family vehicles are the best place. just know that it wont look perfect.

AND if the paint job is ****... IE peeling or not smooth or tons of deep scratches... just know that will all show through. Unless you spend days sanding the vehicle down.

In short... Doing a wrap isnt hard, doing a proper wrap is... If it were me and I wasnt in the wrap business, I'd tell him to go somewhere else...

Thanks. I apporeciate the honest advice