Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need info on wholesalers of LED Display signs out there? How much do they cost?

Discussion in 'LEDs and Neon' started by TheFlash, Feb 15, 2013.

1. TheFlash

TheFlash New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    We do a lot of illuminated aluminum cabinet signs at my sign shop, but I've been approached numerous times about outdoor LED display signs. I've been trying to find someone who makes these so I can re-sell and install, but holy cow they're expensive. I've contacted a few companies and have been given prices averaging around $14,000 for a 16mm, 2-sided, 80" x 40" sign. Is this a fair wholesale price for me to pay? It seems high, as if I mark this up, I will always be out-bid. Any input you will share with me is appreciated. Any referrals to a distributor are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    what makes you think they arent expensive?

edit: try watchfire

edit 2: yes, 4'x7' double sided should be that much

3. Doc Savage

Doc Savage Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Delta, Ohio
    ThinksSign and DacTronics are the ones we use in our shop. The Dac boards are about as high quality and easiest to use but are also the most expensive with the low end at about $12,000 and the high end at about $28,000. ThinkSiign is cheaper with the low end at about $7,000 and the high end at about $22,000. The ThinkSign units are not built as well and tend to be bigger and bulkier than any others. They are also not as user friendly when it comes to installing them.

4. Hicalibersigns

Hicalibersigns Member

Apr 8, 2011
    Daktronics does produce a high quality product. They will also compete against you. This is documented over and over. Contact Deacon Wardlow <deacon@vantageled.com> at Vantage LED. They are a wholesale operation, and don't compete against you for the same jobs. Very high quality product. Very principled.

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    prices sound about right.
    not gonna get much better pricing/product than daktronics or watchfire, unless you start shipping em in from china yourself :)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. TheFlash

TheFlash New Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Thanks for the info everyone.

7. Hill Mountain

Hill Mountain New Member

Watchfire or Optec.

8. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    there we go overpriced sign taken care of!

9. Thesignexpress

Thesignexpress New Member

Jun 15, 2015

Have you found a company that will supply you LEDs at a better price?

10. Gilligan

Gilligan New Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Louisiana
    I found the same thing that TheFlash found.

Am I missing something? Are these little mom and pop groceries and other places paying that much (more I guess since I assume you guys aren't installing them for free)?

What are you guys selling them to the customers for? What is the sales pitch that closes that sale? I mean, I can't justify that price for my own shopping center!

What am I missing?

11. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    The budget friendly place would be Ebsco.

12. Devon19515

Devon19515 Member

Jan 12, 2015
    Georgia
    Watchfire all the way. Dak has screwed over too many people.

Stick with American Made and you will have less headache.
    Most of the other companies import parts and assemble.