Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need Media recommendations for clear and holographic

Discussion in 'Labels and Decals' started by RatherDashing, Oct 30, 2019.

1. RatherDashing

RatherDashing Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Oregon
    I'm looking to make a 1000 stickers with my HP Latex 115 printer, and need some recommendations on media that is 54in wide or less. I would like a clear that I can print on top, and also holographic. I was thinking about Gans Digital (love those guys) holographic, but that is more for window and large application, and I'm not sure how that would do/look on a 2in sticker. My printer is latex, so compatible media is a must. Any recommendations?

Tags:
  2. BlueMoonATL

BlueMoonATL Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Nashville
    BigfishDMBigfishDM Can definitely help you and may have a solution other than windows. Also take a look at Drytac. They have a holographic overlaminate named P3D that may work for what you are doing so you can print whatever you need and overlam to get the holographic look. I'm not sure who distributes Drytac on the west coast, but Midwest Sign Supply may have it. Good Luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I have 24" solid holographic adhesive vinyl that would work good for that. I am working on 54", but it is still not ready yet. I also have clear in 54"

4. RatherDashing

RatherDashing Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Oregon
    I haven't done such a short roll in my HP 115 yet, does it feed well? I read that I have to enable a certain mode if under a specific width (can't remember off the top of my head).
    Do they have that holographic at the Portland Gans? I love buying from you guys, best company I've dealt with.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Glad you enjoy Gans!! No, I have to order them in and it takes about 4 days. Yes it will feed no problem in the 115.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Since when? I love the holo perf but I have yet to get someone to bite. They all want to look like their neighbors for some reason. Could I get a sample of the solid?

7. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    I have had it in 24" for a while, it's the R-Tape Rainbow Brite. I will see if they have sample rolls. We are having a lot of fun with the perf, these guys just did the Alamo Dome last week:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/bcor...erf-theonly-activity-6592915419579985920-VmLv

8. flyplainsdrifta

flyplainsdrifta Active Member

Oct 13, 2017
    ct
    dude that looks sick on a giant building in the sun. only seen the promo vid you guys did last year but man, that stuff looks great when its GIANT

• Like Like x 2
  9. RatherDashing

RatherDashing Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Oregon
    That does look amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RatherDashing

RatherDashing Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Oregon
    Question about the holographic perf, how see through is it from the back? If I put it on my classroom windows, will I still be able to see into the breezeway? If I put it on the back window of a car, how easy is it to see out of?

11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    In the classroom it would have minimal impact, depending on lighting. If it's brighter in the hallway, you can see very clearly through from the classroom. If the classroom is brighter, you will struggle to see into the hallway.
    As far as the car goes, same rules, but when it rains you can't see anything. I have it on my back glass of my truck, so its truly vertical, even then, after it rains, for the next hour I can't back up without my mirrors. The water kindly puddles in the holes of the perf.. It's not the worst, but definitely noticeable.

12. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    You can see through it no problem from the inside.

13. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    You can laminate it and it will not distort the effect.

14. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Well yes, but as far as on a vehicle, it hurts visibility on a clear day. As I type this I realize I don't think I've ever checked this out first hand. Anybody else laminate perf going on a vehicles back glass? I did a wrap that covered the sides of a van with perf, so we opted to laminate as it wasn't going to be looked through, but they didn't want the back glass done.

15. BigfishDM

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    If you use optically clear laminate, you will have no issue seeing out of it. If you use normal laminate it will be very hard to see out of.

16. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    To the laminator!